London SE1 community website

Mature trees chopped down

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 19 December 2014 9.49am
andrewll is referring to this development. Probably best to continue that line of discussion in the relevant thread.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 21 December 2014 6.44pm
It's sad the trees had to go, but in all fairness to Southwark Council, I think they do a very good job of looking after our trees. We've got some very good parks in Southwark and they are full of trees and new ones are being planted all the time. Looking after trees is a very costly business too.
Monday 22 December 2014 5.03pm
The trees in Henshaw Street have been pollarded recently and sadly two of the mature ones had to be felled as they were apparently diseased with some nasty fungus. The stumps have been left at about 4ft - not sure why. I've been advised that we could ask for more mature trees to be planted as replacements - rather than small saplings - does anyone have experience of doing this?
Tuesday 23 December 2014 2.12am
I suspect the trees have been cut to this height so that they are still visible and can't be tripped over.
Wednesday 24 December 2014 7.05pm
It is a shame that existing technology was not used to give those trees a new life...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oMvVYtTKxg
Thursday 25 December 2014 11.22pm
What is the environment really worth to some of the most of the mercenary minds around? There's an old song entitled "A tree " talk about the beauty of a tree is graceful.. I believe in preserving life be it a tree or an animal or human whatever the cost as it's so easy to kill and let go etc. Regrets usually set in afterwards and you wish you could be hugging that "tree" again

Cotswolds 12
Thursday 25 December 2014 11.25pm
Trees are life so no more felling and go hug a tree today.
Friday 26 December 2014 12.13am
null
Friday 26 December 2014 12.20am
What is the environment really worth to some of the of the mercenary minds around? There's an old song entitled "A tree " talk about the beauty of a tree is graceful.. I believe in preserving life be it a tree or an animal or human whatever the cost as it's so easy to kill and let go etc. Regrets usually set in afterwards and you wish you could be hugging that "tree" again

Cotswolds 12
Friday 26 December 2014 12.08pm
It would be nice if something useful could be done with the stumps left behind. Surely they're perfect for Team London Bridge to turn them into benches or planters?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions