London SE1 community website

Hearing Big Ben...?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Saturday 10 January 2015 10.28pm
It's a weird thing, but sometimes, when the weather is right, I swear I have heard Big Ben late at night too and I'm miles away.

It was definitely a thing on the night before New Years Eve as it was clearly amplified and they were rehearsing for the big gig, which I couldn't attend not being able to get tickets because of just living here.

But sometimes, usually in the summer when the windows are open, I swear I can sometimes hear it.
Saturday 10 January 2015 10.54pm
I used to work near Big Ben striking and would chime me into arriving on time for 9am by BOING ..one step, two, three, BOING...faster steps... one, two, three, four, etc. Always at the door for the last chime,although it meant me running those last steps.
Sunday 11 January 2015 12.31pm
Sound travels further at night anyway due to temperature differences causing a change in sound wave refraction (bit more explanation with diagrams). Wind direction exaggerates this effect too.

I work near Blackfriars Road, and can often hear the chimes if the office windows are open. Particularly if I'm working late and the wind is westerly.
Sunday 11 January 2015 2.52pm
exigo wrote:
Sound travels further at night anyway due to temperature differences causing a change in sound wave refraction (bit more explanation with diagrams). Wind direction exaggerates this effect too.
I work near Blackfriars Road, and can often hear the chimes if the office windows are open. Particularly if I'm working late and the wind is westerly.

Perhaps this is the new definition of a Cockney - can hear the chimes of Big Ben when the wind's in the right direction.
Monday 12 January 2015 1.13pm
I hear it nearly all the time. Makes me feel happy to be in the middle of London.
Monday 12 January 2015 1.39pm
We visited Elizabeth Tower last year and stood close to the Big Ben Bell as it 'chimed'. You have to wear ear plugs and the bell reverberates for ages afterwards.
Well worth a visit - You have to apply through your MP, a visit can be months away and understandably lots of security.
I often hear the bell at night from home too - It's kind of comforting.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions