London SE1 community website

Vacuum cleaner repair

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 14 January 2015 11.13am
Thebunhouse wrote:
Joanna, disconnect the hose from the body of the cleaner and see if the machine has lost suction, if it hasn't then you have a blockage in the hose which you will be able to clear yourself. If it is the machine then a professional repair is called for, with luck it will be the cheaper option of D.I.Y.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be blocked so no cheap option. Miele helpline it is!
Wednesday 14 January 2015 11.15am
John C wrote:
Joanna E Clark wrote:
No pseudonym. The name I was given at birth a very long time ago.

Apologies to Joanna for casting unwarranted aspersions - it's a very fine name, and I'm glad that at least two people in SE1 share it.

Joanna, as you will soon discover if you stay with this forum (and I hope you will) we are occasionally plagued by spam messages and 'auto-inspired' recommendations of local retailers and services, when it turns out the 'no connection' recommendation actually comes from the service provider using a pseudonym. And you'll also find that most of us DO use pseudonyms (I don't know how the custom developed, but if they aren't pseudonyms there are some very strange names around in SE1!).

(Thanks, Thebunhouse, but I didn't need the reminder - busy morning and I've only just got round to catching up with SE1 messages!)

Thank you for the spam warning. It had not occurred to me as a possibility. Glad to be forewarned.
Wednesday 14 January 2015 6.18pm
The old maxim is still true and relevant "When all else fails read the instructions". It may be a change of filters or an automatic cut-out, but please check your instructions.
Tuesday 27 January 2015 5.35pm
sadly appliances these days are designed to only work for as long as the warrenty lasts, so you might find that Miele say that is it uneconomical to fix the problem, and cheaper for you to buy a new machine - however, having said that, I don't know Miele that well, and they might be a very high end product that is designed to last 25 years, with lifetime gaurentee, etc, in which case they'll just replace the machine.

I know that if you buy some no name brand cleaner from Robert Dyas (or similar low price outlet store) and it breaks down after more than about 2 years, it's usually a case of buying a new one.

years ago, you could buy a vacuum cleaner, and you could take it apart yourself, and replace the belt with your wife's tights, and mend almost all of it yourself using items commonly found in most kitchen cupboards. Not these days though.
Wednesday 28 January 2015 9.59am
JonR wrote:
sadly appliances these days are designed to only work for as long as the warrenty lasts, so you might find that Miele say that is it uneconomical to fix the problem, and cheaper for you to buy a new machine - however, having said that, I don't know Miele that well, and they might be a very high end product that is designed to last 25 years, with lifetime gaurentee, etc, in which case they'll just replace the machine.
I know that if you buy some no name brand cleaner from Robert Dyas (or similar low price outlet store) and it breaks down after more than about 2 years, it's usually a case of buying a new one.

years ago, you could buy a vacuum cleaner, and you could take it apart yourself, and replace the belt with your wife's tights, and mend almost all of it yourself using items commonly found in most kitchen cupboards. Not these days though.

I spoke to Miele customer care and they said they'd send a box for me to pack the machine in and then have it collected and repaired. This necessitated me staying in for two days - and they charged me 90 there and then over the phone without even knowing what work was needed.

It was returned a week later; when we took it out of the box we found that we couldn't test whether the repair was satisfactory as the foot pedal, which allows the body of the appliance to be rocked backwards and begin the process of cleaning, had broken off. What may have been a reparable fault was now far worse.

I emailed customer care straight away. In fact, I messaged them 13 times entirely in error. I thought the link on their page was broken so I became click-happy. I then got my husband to take over. In all, Miele would have had 14 messages from us. They have not yet responded.

I had considered their products to be the best. I had considered they would be a reasonable company to do business with. I have reconsidered both.
Thursday 29 January 2015 8.19am
That's bad news about the way you have been treated by Miele and its apparent lack of customer care but a timely warning for me, I was considering buying the latest recommendation by Which of their cheaper cleaner, now I will await the outcome of your problems with the cleaner and the company.
It looks like they may have lost one future customer already.
Thursday 29 January 2015 9.13am
I feel obliged to boast about my Dyson DC04 (1998) which has survived much DIY, two cats, and many years of use, I've even cleaned removal lorries with it.

I've used a small strip of gaffer tape to seal a hose, otherwise it has been a Trojan (not wishing to offend members of the Troy community)through thick and thin.

I've probably saved a small fortune in disposable bags.

Picture here
Zoe
Thursday 29 January 2015 11.27pm
That's a fine vacuum cleaner Graham. I can't beat that, but I bought a 50 vax (half price in the argos sale) in July 2010 (in fact I think it was earlier, but that is the date Vax have) that has a six year warranty and I have had about four new heads and various other parts replaced as it is all covered in the guarantee.

Vax no longer offer six year warranties, probably because their products aren't that good, but it shows it is worth picking a product based on the warranty as much as things like cost or brand reputation.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions