London SE1 community website

Marquis of Wellington pub, Druid Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Wednesday 15 April 2015 1.07pm
Any signs of life?
Wednesday 15 April 2015 2.50pm
The guys at Anspach & Hobday said it was bought by a pub company (not sure which one), but they were in talks with the local breweries about supplying.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 3.10pm
According to the Southwark licensing register, a fresh premises licence was granted on 28 January 2015 to the incumbent landlord, Enterprise Inns. Not sure whether that is just to enhance prospects of sale or whether that means they are intending to carry on trading. I'm sure we'll see.
Saturday 3 September 2016 9.33am
I see that there's a building control notice been deposited for works at the pub - anyone know what's happening?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 22 September 2016 8.41am
Looks like it's going to be reopened by the Bermondsey Pub Co (part of Enterprise Inns) along similar lines to the St James of Bermondsey.

Monday 17 October 2016 11.49am
Reopens early November. Pizzas will be a speciality.

Wednesday 19 October 2016 4.23pm
Sounds great - where did you hear that?

I'd like to hope that its prices are reasonable so that those living in the council and ex-council homes right next to it are able to afford a drink there. I'm all for the breweries and markets under the arches but they aren't particularly inclusive given their prices.
Wednesday 19 October 2016 4.25pm
Is it being opposed?
Wednesday 19 October 2016 4.51pm
TG1987 wrote:
I'd like to hope that its prices are reasonable so that those living in the council and ex-council homes right next to it are able to afford a drink there. I'm all for the breweries and markets under the arches but they aren't particularly inclusive given their prices.

It's being run as a business, so I'd expect them to run it however they see fit to make a profit. Currently with it being closed (presumably because it was not being run profitably), nobody is able to drink there whether they are council tenants or otherwise.
Thursday 20 October 2016 6.56am
TG1987 wrote:

Can you please elaborate on what you consider to be an inclusive price for a pint of beer. If a pint is 3.85 then that's ok, an honest egalitarian price for all, but if it's 4.20 it's an exclusionary, snobby, ethnic cleansing price?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions