London SE1 community website

Marquis of Wellington pub, Druid Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 20 October 2016 8.52am
TG1987's point was a reasonable one. I can well imagine some people feeling priced out of a pub in their doorsteps, and that having the effect of fuelling resentment against the cluster of food and drink businesses.

Please could we have a little less sneering all round?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 20 October 2016 10.42am
I am dead serious in my point James. I don't understand how people can say that 35p (or whatever amount, within reason) difference in the price of a pint is somehow exclusionary. It's posturing a bit, making an argument out of nothing substantial. It's a public house. Nobody would be turned away. Just drink one pint less over the course of the night and the price would be the same overall.
Thursday 20 October 2016 12.19pm
Point is, while the pub is closed, nobody can drink there, regardless of how much they can/will pay for a drink.
Thursday 20 October 2016 1.06pm
kevinruairi wrote:
TG1987 wrote:
Sounds great - where did you hear that?
I'd like to hope that its prices are reasonable so that those living in the council and ex-council homes right next to it are able to afford a drink there. I'm all for the breweries and markets under the arches but they aren't particularly inclusive given their prices.

Can you please elaborate on what you consider to be an inclusive price for a pint of beer. If a pint is 3.85 then that's ok, an honest egalitarian price for all, but if it's 4.20 it's an exclusionary, snobby, ethnic cleansing price?

Ethnic cleansing?

Anyway, all sneers aside, is the pub being opposed? Genuine question.
Thursday 20 October 2016 5.41pm
Hi Kevin - no offence intended. My point was only that it would be good if the various establishments on druid street remained affordable for the majority of local residents (I make no guess as to what an "affordable" price might be, as that is somewhat objective). I'm not sure where you're going with your ethnic cleansing comment...what does ethnicity have to do with anything? I also don't agree with your argument that prices can't be exclusionary but we can agree to disagree!
Thursday 20 October 2016 5.43pm
* subjective
Thursday 20 October 2016 6.00pm
Boroughonian wrote:
Anyway, all sneers aside, is the pub being opposed? Genuine question.

I don't think it is. As far as I'm aware - I haven't checked recently, the pub has had a licence throughout its period of closure - Enterprise Inns applied for one as soon as the previous landlord gave possession.
Thursday 20 October 2016 7.31pm
Thanks Gavin, so it appears that Kevin is just a troll after all, thought so. It's one thing having a disregard for the locals, it's another altogether having an active disregard for them.
Saturday 22 October 2016 2.07pm
It's a theme I've noticed, yet another working class part of the area dies, and it's justified by the fact that someone went in there once and felt unwelcome. It's similar to the old "failed council estate".

Who knew we lived such nasty lives?
Sunday 23 October 2016 8.19am
Wouldn't it be the case the the pub closed because not enough local people were using it to make it viable? So now a different style of pub is being opened which will hopefully appeal to more people?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions