London SE1 community website

Marquis of Wellington pub, Druid Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Monday 24 October 2016 9.48am
Sarah wrote:
Wouldn't it be the case the the pub closed because not enough local people were using it to make it viable?

No, this wasn't the case. The Wellington has always been profitable. That the brewery landlord wanted to hike the rent up massively was the problem here. Pubs in London face a two-pronged attack: profitability and land/property values, whether perceived or actual.
Monday 24 October 2016 10.44am
sarahse1 wrote:
Wouldn't it be the case the the pub closed because not enough local people were using it to make it viable? So now a different style of pub is being opened which will hopefully appeal to more people?

It was usually near empty, yes.

Even when they briefly reopened, they could not capitalise on the passing trade. They tried to do promotions with Becks and a hot dog stand out the front but it didn't work.
Monday 24 October 2016 11.18am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Wouldn't it be the case the the pub closed because not enough local people were using it to make it viable?

No, this wasn't the case. The Wellington has always been profitable. That the brewery landlord wanted to hike the rent up massively was the problem here. Pubs in London face a two-pronged attack: profitability and land/property values, whether perceived or actual.

This was the case with my local pub, The Ship, St. Mary Church St., Rotherhithe a few years back, the guv'nor and his family were excellent hosts.
This was borne out by the fact that almost every day the place had quite a few customers at any time you went in there, boosted by the fact that the bar staff had the uncanny knack of noticing anyone who'd either just walked in, or was standing at the bar with an empty glass.
They were on you like white on rice, and never once did I see someone walk in and get served before someone who had just finished a drink and looked as if they were ready for another.
No doubt noticing the increased barrelage, Youngs jacked the rent up, (as they were perfectly entitled to), and overnight, what had been a good proposition became just a job for the family.
They took over an ailing pub near London Airport, turned it around into such a good place that I and quite a few Rotherhithe and Bermondsey regulars would schlep over there every couple of months, knowing how good the guv'nor and his family were.
Eventually, probably inevitably, history repeated itself, and the guv'nor sold up and went back to driving a black cab.
The Ship went through a succession of licensees, who all gradually fell by the wayside, the present one is a real nice guy, and he and his wife do good food I am told, but lots of people, (predominantly beer drinkers), complain that the prices are higher now, and seem to prefer a Wetherspoon pub, where it's cheap, but the clientele can seem a tad edgy.
Saturday 10 December 2016 9.37pm
Went in here today. Place is much more inviting and welcoming than previously, the unfrosted windows allow you to see in from the street. Decent beer selection including some local brews on tap and in the fridge. I tried the A+H IPA which was nice. We had a pizza and some garlic bread. The latter was great, the former good, perhaps the tables could do with some black pepper and olive or chili oil if pizza is going to be their main focus. Staff were friendly, there were no idiots in the crowd, service was quick, and I like what they've done with the outdoor seating. I don't tend to drink in pubs much but I could see myself going back again soon, definitely preferable to the Doodle Bar further up the road.
Monday 12 December 2016 9.13am
My experience was the polar opposite. There were several idiots, both customers and staff, and it wasn't the sort of place you'd sit and watch the world go by in.
Monday 12 December 2016 10.41pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
My experience was the polar opposite. There were several idiots, both customers and staff, and it wasn't the sort of place you'd sit and watch the world go by in.

Did you have the shoulder chips along with your sour grapes and hard cheese?
Monday 12 December 2016 11.15pm
kevinruairi wrote:
Gavin Smith wrote:
My experience was the polar opposite. There were several idiots, both customers and staff, and it wasn't the sort of place you'd sit and watch the world go by in.

Did you have the shoulder chips along with your sour grapes and hard cheese?

Was you on the Trollmops?
Tuesday 13 December 2016 9.12am
kevinruairi wrote:
Went in here today. Place is much more inviting and welcoming than previously, the unfrosted windows allow you to see in from the street. Decent beer selection including some local brews on tap and in the fridge. I tried the A+H IPA which was nice. We had a pizza and some garlic bread. The latter was great, the former good, perhaps the tables could do with some black pepper and olive or chili oil if pizza is going to be their main focus. Staff were friendly, there were no idiots in the crowd, service was quick, and I like what they've done with the outdoor seating. I don't tend to drink in pubs much but I could see myself going back again soon, definitely preferable to the Doodle Bar further up the road.

Hi Kevin, how much was a pint (assuming you had a pint)?
Wednesday 14 December 2016 5.56am
I only had one with the food so wasn't making a mental note of how much it cost. I don't tend to care if a pint is 3.80 or 4.50. I don't consider it a huge deal if it's a few pence more as I'm not drinking a huge amount, and i don't consider it an indicator of anything else. There are other more relevant things to get worked up about, such as rent, unaffordable housing, bills and so on. I can always pay a cheaper price for a pint somewhere else, but I don't particularly like mass produced fizzy swill. I used to, or more to the point wasn't bothered about it too much, but can't touch it any more. This time I wanted to try something different, and I think it's good to support local brewers in SE1, so paying an extra 50p for a Bermondsey beer compared to a Becks or Stella doesn't faze me.

The place could do with some couch seats on the inside. The outdoor bean bags in the wooden chairs are comfortable, but not exactly suitable in the current climate.
Wednesday 14 December 2016 9.20am
kevinruairi wrote:
I only had one with the food so wasn't making a mental note of how much it cost. I don't tend to care if a pint is 3.80 or 4.50. I don't consider it a huge deal if it's a few pence more as I'm not drinking a huge amount, and i don't consider it an indicator of anything else. There are other more relevant things to get worked up about, such as rent, unaffordable housing, bills and so on. I can always pay a cheaper price for a pint somewhere else, but I don't particularly like mass produced fizzy swill. I used to, or more to the point wasn't bothered about it too much, but can't touch it any more. This time I wanted to try something different, and I think it's good to support local brewers in SE1, so paying an extra 50p for a Bermondsey beer compared to a Becks or Stella doesn't faze me.
The place could do with some couch seats on the inside. The outdoor bean bags in the wooden chairs are comfortable, but not exactly suitable in the current climate.

Thanks for the info - I agree I'd rather pay an extra 50p for a decent pint, good to have the choice.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions