London SE1 community website

What bugs you in Bankside?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 13 May 2002 10.01am
That's a good point - I think we could do with more recycling facilities in the Bankside area
Ste
Monday 13 May 2002 10.18am
Thanks, in Lambeth they issue green plastic crates so that one can fill them up with paper, cans, bottles etc. - collected once a week by the green bin men, we could have something like that too.
Monday 13 May 2002 10.55am
What bugs me is that local shops (the chemist and the key cutter/dry cleanerson borough high) shuts on a saturday .
I resent having to pay 3 for a loaf of bread from the market - i'd like to see a bakers in the area. And a dry cleaners that opens, and a video shop and a delicatessan. What would be really good is for a Sainsbury's local or Tesco Metro which would be ideal in this area which has more and more people living in it by the week.

The lighting along bankside by the FT building right up to Blackfriar's Bridge doesn't work and hasn't for months - It feels dangerous.

Parking for residents is appalling - Union St has so few parking spaces, yet it's a long street with lots of space.

There is unreasonable amounts of rubbish which piles up on Borough High Street near Field & Sons estate agents (it's not their rubbish).

There appears to be a serious lack of nursery schools in the area.
Monday 13 May 2002 1.29pm

Agree with the comments about more greenery and improved recycling (ANY recycling would be welcome! )

The main tourist route from Southwark tube to Tate Modern is pretty horrible - hardly a great impression for visitors, and where it crosses Southwark Street, it needs a proper pedestrian crossing.

(Proper pedestrian crossings needed in lots of places actually - hardly any once you're off the main roads. Just south of the BB area, where Gt Suffolk St and Southwark Bridge Road cross is a terrible one.)
Monday 13 May 2002 1.36pm
The homeless people who are perpetually camped out on Clink Street… they frequently keep me awake at night if they have had too much to drink and I have seen their half-hidden drug paraphernalia on a couple occassions. They have been harmless so far but you never know.
Monday 13 May 2002 3.22pm
Katie watch this space on Borough High Street for a tescos or sainsburys
Monday 13 May 2002 3.24pm
Really...what do you know?! Come on spill....
Monday 13 May 2002 3.26pm
I know of a site very close to LB station that the two of them are fighting over.
Monday 13 May 2002 3.28pm
fantastic - you don't know when this might be do you? I'm guessing not for a while if they are still fighting over the space.

I had heard that there would probably be one as part of the More Development - in Tooley St - but we need one our end - borough high st!
Monday 13 May 2002 3.51pm
It will only be like an express or local market but will still stock all the essentials at a more reasonable price. Should be within the next 5-6 months
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions