London SE1 community website

What bugs you in Bankside?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Monday 13 May 2002 5.25pm
The south bank pedestrian tunnel under Southwark Bridge Road is part of the Jubilee Walk and is used by thousands of people every day. It was expensively decorated with fanciful carved stone plaques and relit with sunken spotlights just a couple of years ago.

So why can't the mighty London Borough of Southwark manage to replace the light bulbs? Last Thursday, there was just one floor-mounted lamp working out of eight. Makes it a bit scary for the tourists, but I'm sure the muggers prefer it that way.
Monday 13 May 2002 7.08pm
I've heard Sainsbury's has secured the ground floor site of the development going up between Marshalsea Road and Union Street on Borough High Street - sort of opposite Belushis. There's going to be a load of plush flats on top of it. But I am frequently wrong, and sometimes I just dream things.
Monday 13 May 2002 7.20pm
I hate people parking in bus lanes whilst they just 'dash' in for chicken etc... A brain wouldn't hurt.
Tuesday 14 May 2002 8.44am
someone is going to get killed at the corner of southwark bridge/marshalsea road. car turns left, cyclist on the inside goes straight on ... splat!
[http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=532244&y=179925&z=1&sv=532250,179750&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf]

maybe some traffic lights?

Also need proper cycle lanes. At the moment the system is more like ley lines.
Tuesday 14 May 2002 9.40am
Hello again daveb & my old pal alistair! I think if there was actually somewhere to park in se1without the risk of those evil sadistic traffic wardens clamping people might go there instead of the bus lane.
helen
Tuesday 14 May 2002 9.49am
yeah, I ride that way, too, and not sure why they narrowed the junction approach on marshalsea road - it makes it less safe, not more, (it's not like loads of peds use that crossing, either) And no one seems to indicate anymore

it's getting to the stage of needing lights by the island cafe, just north of the ped crossing, too...people always cutting me up on my bike nipping down (copperfield st?)

at least the building work seems to be nearing completion on south side of southwark bridge..
Wednesday 22 May 2002 10.26pm
As motorists, we paid for these roads, only to have them turned over to smelly polluting diesel powered busses. Bus lanes which have no busses in them are simply contributing to pollution, as cars are forced into single file, when there is a perfectly good lane going to waste.

I have started to make a political protest by always making a point of driving in bus lanes, where it is more convenient to do so. Especially the utterly un-necessary one on Jamaica Road.

Bus lanes are the most idiotic ill-concieved idea. Why not work out why the traffic is slow and address the issue for ALL classes of road user, especially the motorist who after all, is paying through the nose for the 'privilege' of driving on London's clogged and congested streets.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions