London SE1 community website

One Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next
Current: 13 of 14
Thursday 19 February 2015 5.02pm
Just a small point of order, I think the tenants of that area always felt that it was a fantastic place to live. My friend was eventually prised away from his Devon Mansion one bed flat when his first born was about 4, he really didn't want to leave the area, that was about 25 years ago.
Friday 20 February 2015 12.07am
Gavin Smith wrote:
For a start, the maximum discount available at present under the right to buy is 100,000 and is on a stepped basis. I don't know anyone living in a council or housing association property who could, allowing for a 100,000 off the notional value of 1 million, raise a mortgage of 900,000. They wouldn't qualify for a social housing tenancy in the first place.
I'm not sure of the two-tier arrangement to which you make reference. Southwark Council housing service surcharge customers, be they leasehold, freehold or mere tenants, do qualify for an 8.88 discount off the weekly rent of a garage. As Zoe has pointed out, as with house rents, the garage fund is not subsidised by council tax payments. To be honest, even at 27.50 a week - which I assume is the rate you pay, Davies - you'd find it impossible to find comparable size and access at one of the self-storage places. I previously had a lockup at Access Self Storage - which is a very good place and I wouldn't hesitate to use again - and to rent somewhere approaching the size of a standard garage would cost almost 200 per month. The link you seek ishere.

As for pest control charges, as a local authority Southwark has no responsibility/legal duty to provide a pest control service other than to take such steps as may be practicable to keep their district free of mice and rats. However, as a landlord, in common with other landlords, be they private landlords, housing associations, etc, Southwark does have a responsibility to provide a pest control service in certain circumstances and for certain pests. This is why council tenants have access to this service. As I understand it, so too does anyone - at substantially lower rates than those charged by commercial entities. Again, and I stand to be corrected by those more "in the know", this is funded exclusively through the fund to which Zoe made reference.

Your council tax payment is used to fund essential council services "such as recycling, street cleaning, education, libraries and social services" (Southwark website). It also funds the Mayor of London, the London Fire Brigade and policing services in the capital.

Paragraph 1: And there is no possibility whatsoever of tenants being targeted by people who can put up the reduced right to buy purchase price for a share of the resale profit?

Paragraph 2. I suggest you contact the council re vermin control or garage hire. On the former I was told I would have to pay for Rats to be removed myself by a commercial company as I am a housing association and not council tenant. I was refused all help and told to try the yellow pages. When did you last get a copy of the yellow pages?
Regarding the latter I don't pay anything as the unsubsidised garage rents are too high for me. 8.88 a month is around 426 a year. Might be a snip on your wage but it isn't on mine. I can't afford self storage either as you quite rightly point out it is really expensive. I either have to trip over stuff or get shot of things I want to keep. I'm delighted you can afford better yourself.
Please explain how the garages being cheaper are not subsidised by council tax when my understanding was that council tax funds the council and the council rents out the garages? I genuinely want a link to the evidence not just: "Because Zoe (whoever she is) says so".
Why are council tenants eligible for free pest control and reduced rate garages when housing association and everyone else isn't?

Thank you.
Friday 20 February 2015 1.10am
Davies wrote:
Please explain how the garages being cheaper are not subsidised by council tax when my understanding was that council tax funds the council and the council rents out the garages? I genuinely want a link to the evidence not just: "Because Zoe (whoever she is) says so".
Why are council tenants eligible for free pest control and reduced rate garages when housing association and everyone else isn't?

Thank you.
Your 'understanding' of how council tax works is incorrect.
Friday 20 February 2015 9.46am
Hi Davies

Re para 1, I can make no comment other than to say that I would sincerely hope that wouldn't be the case.

Re para 2, I do understand your unhappiness. If you're a housing association tenant (a registered social landlord), they have a legal obligation to deal with pest problems on their property. If they are trying to shirk responsibility, you should get in touch with the Council's private sector landlord team for advice as your landlords are trying to get out of their legal responsibility. I've not seen the Yellow Pages for years! As a tenant, however, you shouldn't have to pay for pest control.

Re garages, no, it isn't a "snip" on my wage, but it is considerably cheaper than the open market alternative of Access Self Storage et al. Of course if you can't afford a garage then the answer is to sell the clutter that would otherwise occupy one. I make no comment about my personal means or ability to afford a garage, save to say that I work 18 hours a days in order to sustain a comfortable standard of living.

As Peter and others have said, your understanding re council tax is wrong. The garages form part of the council's housing stock and are self-funding in the same way that council housing is.

In simple terms, the council is responsible to ensure its own land is vermin free, hence why council tenants can call upon the services of the pest control department. The subsidised garage rent for service charge payers is on account of the fact that we have already made payments into that self-financing pot that is the housing fund. There is a plethora of information contained on the Southwark website and I'd suggest you take some time reading it as it's too numerous to particularise/link to.
Friday 20 February 2015 2.35pm
Thought I'd share a quote from a letter written by Rev Mervyn Wilson (rector, Bermondsey Parish Church) in October 1971:

Quote:
What all local people are agreed they do not want is expensive pied-a-terres owned by people with no interest in the neighbourhood. The sort of flats shown in the Hay's Wharf scheme [similar to those now on the infamous One Tower Bridge site] fill our minds with the dread that this is what they might become.
Bermondsey has always been a 'village', proud of its history and taking an interest in its own affairs, though feeling a little despised; it wants its future inhabitants to be the same
Friday 20 February 2015 8.06pm
Excellent quote, Gavin. Thanks for posting it.
Sums things up so well.
Definitely my mind is "filled with dread" at what I see happening in our borough.
Friday 20 February 2015 8.44pm
That was when people mattered and it wasn't all about the s.
Saturday 21 February 2015 12.22pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Hi Davies
Re para 1, I can make no comment other than to say that I would sincerely hope that wouldn't be the case.

Re para 2, I do understand your unhappiness. If you're a housing association tenant (a registered social landlord), they have a legal obligation to deal with pest problems on their property. If they are trying to shirk responsibility, you should get in touch with the Council's private sector landlord team for advice as your landlords are trying to get out of their legal responsibility. I've not seen the Yellow Pages for years! As a tenant, however, you shouldn't have to pay for pest control.

Re garages, no, it isn't a "snip" on my wage, but it is considerably cheaper than the open market alternative of Access Self Storage et al. Of course if you can't afford a garage then the answer is to sell the clutter that would otherwise occupy one. I make no comment about my personal means or ability to afford a garage, save to say that I work 18 hours a days in order to sustain a comfortable standard of living.

As Peter and others have said, your understanding re council tax is wrong. The garages form part of the council's housing stock and are self-funding in the same way that council housing is.

In simple terms, the council is responsible to ensure its own land is vermin free, hence why council tenants can call upon the services of the pest control department. The subsidised garage rent for service charge payers is on account of the fact that we have already made payments into that self-financing pot that is the housing fund. There is a plethora of information contained on the Southwark website and I'd suggest you take some time reading it as it's too numerous to particularise/link to.

OK so my understanding of Council Tax is wrong. But nobody here is explaining how the stock of housing that you claim is "self funding" was not originally paid for with tax payers money and is thus an asset we have paid for.

You are still glossing over the complete inequity between the Council Tenants, who get everything on a plate, and the rest of us who pay for the plate. If not through Council Tax then through income tax.

Here is another example: free 45 thousand pounds for Council Tenants to buy property for themselves with.
Please explain how this is in no way funded through taxes or from property paid for through taxes, who is paying for it then?

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/10092/council_home_owner_services/974/home_purchase_grant_scheme

So rather good cheap housing, cheap garages, free pest control and free money.
But not in any way a two tier system then?
Saturday 21 February 2015 12.48pm
Davies wrote:
the rest of us who pay for the plate. If not through Council Tax then through income tax

Do people in social housing not pay income tax then? Perhaps I'm the only one. I paid lots of the bloody stuff.

You say you're a housing association tenant. Your rent is similarly subsidised. People in glass houses and all that...
Saturday 21 February 2015 1.02pm
The whole housing situation in London is a mess. Everyone knows that. I earn a pretty high wage and struggle to pay my rent whilst my neighbour is on housing benefit and has theirs paid for them. Is this fair? I'm not sure. But selling everything off to property speculators, cutting interest rates to zero and giving interest free loans to the mega rich through QE are obviously going to make the situation much worse. What we need is affordable housing for everyone and the sooner the planners and lawmakers realise this the better. Even the 50% who own their own homes are starting to see the stupidity of it all as their children won't benefit from the current policies very much. Only the very rich benefit, and their political cronies who (will) work for them. Most of us and society are being conned.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next
Current: 13 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions