London SE1 community website

One Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 14
Thursday 5 February 2015 11.32am
"There's no finance alibi really? Is there? If there are charges that a tenant cannot afford to pay then most likely these will be covered by benefits inc Housing Benefit up to the cap limit.Just as happens all over London with the tax payer picking up the bill for £billions."

Yet again this continuing assumption that everyone who lives in social housing is on benefits.
Thursday 5 February 2015 12.02pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
And in fairness, on looking into it, I must take back my proposition that tenants do not pay service charges - indeed, looking at my rent statement, I myself pay them - but that doesn't detract from the substance of my argument, I don't think.

Given that this seems to be your argument;

Gavin Smith wrote:
And I fail to see why allowing the social housing tenants access to this garden would make it in any way less affordable for them. The cost of maintaining the garden will be the same regardless.

I'd say it really does detract from it. It certainly should give you pause to wonder whether any of what sjac wrote was indeed vitriolic.

Gavin Smith wrote:
The fact of the matter is that in exchange for getting their hands on a prime piece of land, generating billions and billions of pounds of profit

Go find a pencil and a fag packet.
Thursday 5 February 2015 12.22pm
suziq wrote:

Yet again this continuing assumption that everyone who lives in social housing is on benefits.

Not just that, it's also a sweeping generalisation and judgement on anyone that is on benefits or lives in social housing used to justify the unsavoury practices we see evidence for on a daily basis. That's why it's time for action, not words.
Thursday 5 February 2015 12.30pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
I think sjac has a logical argument. Don't know if I agree with it, but it's logical. I may, of course, be wrong in my understanding.

Logical arguments are overrated, they are often just a more subtle form of outshouting others used by the more eloquent and articulate.

Do you really believe that?

Why discuss things on a forum?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 5 February 2015 12.37pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Logical arguments are overrated, they are often just a more subtle form of outshouting others used by the more eloquent and articulate.

Not really. The problem is what passes for 'logical argument' is very often nothing of the sort.

eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
On a different note, Boris Johnson doesn't even bother with logical arguments

I thought they were overrated?
Thursday 5 February 2015 1.24pm
Marty McFly wrote:
I'd say it really does detract from it. It certainly should give you pause to wonder whether any of what sjac wrote was indeed vitriolic.

In what does it detract, Marty? Please elaborate.

Marty McFly wrote:
Go find a pencil and a fag packet.

Not necessary. You get the point.
Thursday 5 February 2015 1.31pm
Usually, i'd be up in arms about this. I suspect however that those tenants lucky enough to get a three bedroom flat, with a roof garden, at the approach to Tower Bridge for 160 quid a week are not going to give a tinkers cuss if they cannot mingle with the high rollers in a garden. My only hope is that the tenants who get them are Southwark born and bred.
Thursday 5 February 2015 1.33pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Usually, i'd be up in arms about this. I suspect however that those tenants lucky enough to get a three bedroom flat, with a roof garden, at the approach to Tower Bridge for 160 quid a week are not going to give a tinkers cuss if they cannot mingle with the high rollers in a garden. My only hope is that the tenants who get them are Southwark born and bred.

I agree.
Thursday 5 February 2015 2.26pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
I think sjac has a logical argument. Don't know if I agree with it, but it's logical. I may, of course, be wrong in my understanding.

Logical arguments are overrated, they are often just a more subtle form of outshouting others used by the more eloquent and articulate.

Do you really believe that?

Why discuss things on a forum?

Well, I don't really (discuss things on a forum I mean). Not with as much passion and vigour as I used to anyway. I find that action is a more effective weapon. You can't cure the intransigent anyway, they'll only dig their heels in deeper and if fuels their dislike for those whose views they oppose, so it's not very constructive at all.
Thursday 5 February 2015 2.34pm
turtmcfly wrote:

eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
On a different note, Boris Johnson doesn't even bother with logical arguments

I thought they were overrated?

They are. BoJo doesn't even bother keeping up the pretence anymore. Soon he'll be telling the poor to their faces what scum he thinks they are. According to some on here (well, one person), we're all burglars, so it's only a question of time before all the other niceties come out.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions