London SE1 community website

One Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 14
Thursday 5 February 2015 8.55pm
Incremental cost is an interesting idea Dave. But who decides who comes last (and therefore only takes the incremental cost)? I thought the reasoning here was equality of treatment for the social tenants, though.

To Gavin, I assume that the major cost is the opportunity cost of the land rather than any maintenance, which would certainly come to a significant amount.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 5 February 2015 8.58pm
suziq wrote:
Yet again this continuing assumption that everyone who lives in social housing is on benefits.

Well no Suziq. A direct response to the thread making it clear that residents unable to afford a service charge for a communal garden can get help. Including someone in a 10million pound flat. Once you know that fact then one of the Council's arguments is bogus. All tenants should be able to afford a reasonable service charge.

Of course if you want to take comments out of contents then that's up to you. But then don't wine when it's done to you!
Thursday 5 February 2015 9.52pm
All they need to do, is find another name for this garden that does not include the word communal...
Thursday 5 February 2015 10.01pm
Does anyone know the likelihood of the application to reduce the cultural space in the development being approved and if there has been any objections?
http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9557920

Also, has there been anything published regarding the price that the space has been advertised for? It seems hard to believe that there would be no takers for such a prime location.

Finally, if a smaller space is easier to find a tenant for, has the option of creating three smaller cultural spaces and maintaining the total sqm for cultural use been explored?
Friday 6 February 2015 9.19am
hhrca - which part of my comment was whining (with an 'h') and which part was taken out of context (not contents)? It was a comment / observation and your rather unpleasant, confrontational response is uncalled for
Friday 6 February 2015 12.54pm
sjac wrote:
Probably, but variations happen with every development and final service charges certainly wouldn't have been determined (and will continue to vary from year-to-year anyway).
Not sure why that matters anyway. To recap:
- People have amazing homes at social rents
- More amenities make these homes less affordable (social rents do not include service charges, which are added on afterwards)
- For some reason, advocates of affordable housing are insisting that these homes should be made less affordable and are upset at the council and developers for keeping costs down for the tenants (at limited inconvenience given that they already have their own private roof garden)

Can anyone explain what I'm missing here, or is it simply outrage for the sake of outrage?

The whole point of including social housing in these developments is so that there is a mix of rich and poor in our community. This sounds like it flies in the face of this principle. Do we really want a society where the poor are ghettoised?
Friday 6 February 2015 2.39pm
AndrewEvans wrote:
sjac wrote:
Probably, but variations happen with every development and final service charges certainly wouldn't have been determined (and will continue to vary from year-to-year anyway).
Not sure why that matters anyway. To recap:
- People have amazing homes at social rents
- More amenities make these homes less affordable (social rents do not include service charges, which are added on afterwards)
- For some reason, advocates of affordable housing are insisting that these homes should be made less affordable and are upset at the council and developers for keeping costs down for the tenants (at limited inconvenience given that they already have their own private roof garden)

Can anyone explain what I'm missing here, or is it simply outrage for the sake of outrage?

The whole point of including social housing in these developments is so that there is a mix of rich and poor in our community. This sounds like it flies in the face of this principle. Do we really want a society where the poor are ghettoised?

If anyone wants to "ghettoise" me by letting me have a social housing tenancy in that development, with a roof garden on the top of my block, and the only drawback is that I can't access (and don't have to pay for) another garden in the complex, please pm me.

Friday 6 February 2015 2.45pm
I'm sure lots of poor people would be happy to live in ghettos but the reason we elect councillors and politicians is to make decisions that are good for society as a whole.
Friday 6 February 2015 2.50pm
Yep. So, if you were eligible for social housing, would you rather live on, say, the Arnold Estate with freedom to go wherever you want, or to live in 1 TBR with a roof garden?

Friday 6 February 2015 2.59pm
AndrewEvans wrote:
The whole point of including social housing in these developments is so that there is a mix of rich and poor in our community.

Only if by the 'community' you mean the community of people who live in the social housing and the private block, and then only in the context of the private garden. Don't forget everyone else in the community is 'banned' from the garden too (which is why using the word in the news headline on these pages is a bit disingenuous). Would anyone be kicking up a fuss if the social tenants did have access but the wider community didn't?

AndrewEvans wrote:
Do we really want a society where the poor are ghettoised?

Ghettoised? In Horace Jones House? Get a grip man.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions