London SE1 community website

One Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 14
Monday 9 February 2015 8.58am
Also, how touchingly 'altruistic'. that Southwark's decision is apparently based on concerns that lessees of the expensive flats might be priced out by having to subsidise the cost (which I imagine is trivial) of providing the hoi polloi with access to the garden. This is Through-The-Looking-Glass territory, or to coin another phrase, a vivid example of ;a world turned upside down'.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 12.32pm
Lost my way a bit on this thread. BUt my threpenny worth:

THe whole site is f*cking eyesore and looks cheap, overshadows potters field and they [email protected] us over with no shared cultural spot THEY promised in the plans. The balconies go straight over the pavement so who ever is going to live there full price is a fool and a rich one (not the social housers)

Backhanders at city hall no doubt. Boris bends over for any corporate $$ - anyone remember the fiasco on the HongkOng floating garden where he tried to privatise the thames in time for the Jubilee?
Tuesday 10 February 2015 12.34pm
and whilst I am ranting about our idiot of a mayor. Half of city hall is now employed at News INternational in time for him to run for PM to shove him on the red top front pages and down the throats of the nation..
Tuesday 10 February 2015 12.36pm
I am SO angry about this development!!
Tuesday 10 February 2015 12.43pm
The horse has bolted. Forces are at work that want 1TB to happen. The rich owners(many of whom will not live there) do not want poorer people living near them. Berkeley Homes PR person was once noted as saying "oh we don't care about local residents" she worked for TTA/Chime. Deals have been done and the Council will find it very hard to budge on this.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 6.24pm
Just as an aside, it's worth noting that the dear leader of Southwark Council has been wined and dined by the developers of One Tower Bridge on at least five occasions in recent years. Is it right that our elected officials are so cosy with developers to whom they're demising very valuable land?

29/10/2014 - Dinner at Roast Restaurant, SE1; Donor: Berkeley London, 61 Leman Street London E1 8NZ

31/07/2014 - 2 tickets to the Mayor's Charity Ball; Name of Donor:Berkeley Homes, Berkeley House, 19 Portsmouth Road, Cobham, Surrey KT11

27/06/2013 - 2 tickets to Berkeley Foundation Ball, Horseguards Parade; Donor: Berkeley Homes, Berkeley House, 19 Portsmouth Road, Cobham, Surrey KT11

17/12/2012 - Dinner at George Club restaurant; Donor: Berkeley Homes, Berkeley House, 19 Portsmouth Road, Cobham, Surrey KT11

04/03/2011 - Charity dinner; Name of donor: Berkeley Homes, Berkeley House, 19 Portsmouth Road, Cobham, Surrey KT11; Value unknown
Tuesday 10 February 2015 6.37pm
Many thanks for this Gavin.

As with the lunches indulged in on expense account (at our cost as 'regular' taxpayers) by senior HMRC honchos and 'blue chip' CEOs where advice regarding tax 'avoidance' was very likely to have been given), this intelligence may be unsurprising but it is really important to disseminate nonetheless.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 8.03pm
"Oh, we don't care about local residents"
Thanks Professor Plum
Not as though we didn't notice this, but good to have confirmation of the contempt in which we local residents are held.
The feeling is mutual.
Ranting is making my blood pressure go up again though.
Hope they choke on those free lunches
Wednesday 11 February 2015 8.14pm
Wretched eyesore shouldn't have been built in the first place!
Still at least the social housing folk have a lovely roofgarden.
Wonder how residents will be selected for this place.
Who do you have to shag?
Thursday 12 February 2015 11.29am
sjac wrote:
Really? Lets try another spin on this:
Developers make homes even more affordable

[snip]

Resident John Doe stated: "I'm so glad that they've limited our costs by excluding us from this potentially very expensive shared garden. Given that we have our own roof garden anyway we'd probably never use it, and the increased service charges that it would have brought would probably have been a struggle. Did I mention that I pay only 161 per week for my 3-bedroom flat?!? It's incredible, given that the market price would be at least 10 times that. Now that I don't have to pay for the increased service charge my home will remain truly affordable. Thanks Southwark and Berkeley Homes!"

Hilariously, the editorial column in today's Southwark News quotes some of the words above from sjac's polemic as if 'John Doe' was a real tenant of Horace Jones House.

https://twitter.com/james_hatts/status/565833692170715136

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Current: 8 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions