London SE1 community website

Fake Beggar around The Cut/Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 9 February 2015 9.30am
I agree with Jinkazama. Giff-Gaff and PAYG are probably the cheapest means for people to keep in touch, which is surely even more important if people have no fixed abode.

Equally, why should we regard as inappropriate the fact that people experiencing the most extreme form of misery may, on occasion, smile and laugh?

I am also disturbed by the fact that there are clearly people in the locality who are either so unfulfilled as to, or regard their 'civic' responsibilities to demand, that they 'track' beggars.

While there are, in my experience at least. a very small minority of beggars who behave in a threatening manner, most are either genuinely so desperate for cash that they sometimes veer to the opposite extreme of 'over-gratitude, or, conversely, are so out if it that they could not represent a threat to anyone.
Monday 9 February 2015 12.24pm
I never give to this guy. I find it hard to work up any sympathy for him. There are a lot of men and women around Waterloo who are in need but from my experience of this guy, he isn't one of them.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 9.54am
It's just very fashionable to lay into the underprivileged/disadvantaged at the moment. It's the classic cowardly turning of society on those who are more vulnerable than themselves. Kicking down rather than than up.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 10.06am
Maybe, when on the phone, the beggar was talking to his mum, who is worried about her son being so far away, and he was reassuring her, trying to let her know everything is OK rather than telling her that at the moment he's living on the streets, begging. Unless of course someone understood what they're saying, one can only make assumptions, and that's the worst foundation to base judgement on
Tuesday 10 February 2015 10.15am
They're gangs.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 10.27am
boroughonian wrote:
They're gangs.

I am sure there are gangs, but is every single beggar part of them? Or are they coerced into joining? Like some women are forced into prostitution?
Thursday 12 February 2015 9.48am
It may be that I've seen too many tv revelations about how people are making their way to the UK to beg. We're shown the mansions that they've built back home with their gains, whilst we, their benefactors are living here in our small flats, paid for mainly through our hard work.
One trio take it in turns to hold a sign written on cardboard to say that they're homeless, then it's handed over to the next one as they finish their stint.
To be fair, I've also been asked for 80p exactly from a blonde haired lady in The Cut. She was reeking of alcohol & didn't say what her emergency was. I've seen her around here before, so it wasn't for a fare.She then went off to ask someone else. She was polite and seemed happy enough, but it's so sad to have come to begging.She may read this & she's given a wake up call,I do hope so.
Friday 13 February 2015 12.19am
maybe im a bit harsh as i have seen some of the blatant "fake" beggars , such as the couple who have the female pretend to be pregnant (with a cushion under her top) whilst the male walks on the other side of the road to keep an eye out for police, female goes alongasking for money then they go into the off licence and shes now 9 months less pregnant with a pillow under her arm ..

The female at the train station i used to go to most days who would beg for money ,always for a shower ? and then found out she would drive to the car park opposite the station , park her car and beg for 5 days a week . Boasting to the black cab drivers she takes home around 700 a week from begging

unfortunately the majority of money given to homeless people goes on addiction such as drugs/alchohol ..if i see what i presume to be a genuine homeless person i give them a sandwich , and every few months empty my cupboards out and hand out a few old jackets/sweaters etc

Lived in waterloo for a few years now and got to know a few homeless people and chatted to them on my travels and they would point out the genuine homeless in the area , unfortunatley i have since found out three of those that i used to see around have all since died of heron overdoses....
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions