London SE1 community website

Development on top of Southwark Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Thursday 5 March 2015 2.38pm
Mojonojo you're wrong I live and work in the area. It's a shame you have to try and discredit other people's opinions when they don't match yours. I smell a control freak.

Incidentally I will lose views of big Ben and the BT tower however 1800 homes will be built and I can see the bigger picture

you post indicates that you don't mind a development going ahead (the shard) as long as it only adds to your precious views rather than takes away from it. Your post comes across quite self invloved
Thursday 5 March 2015 3.07pm
This development will be a private development. I doubt very much that there will be any social housing. The affordable housing element is likely to be 80% of the market value and this will be out of reach for most people. Anyway, I've just heard that Southwark Council has NOT agreed to sell anything to DevSec so they have lied on their press release - so what does this tell you about this developer? (Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive, I know that the Council will have had its fair share of meetings with them about the possibility.) And for the record I am very much in favour of Southwark Council building homes that people can afford to rent, I just don't like the way they are doing it. It is not okay to shove people out of an area just because it has become trendy and I've often found people on this website being resentful of council tenants living in 'nice' areas, nor is okay to force people out of their homes as they did at the E&C. I support responsible development which is why I joined BARD and why I work with Southwark Residents Say No which also supports responsible development.
Thursday 5 March 2015 3.32pm
mojonojo- Thanks for looking up my posts much appreciated I have a stalker i'm almost honoured.

The reason I rarely post is because I canít be bothered with most of it. This forum is largely rife with nimby talk without seeing the bigger picture. I moved out of the area years ago as Iím not one of the abundant council tenants in the area nor am I a cash rich new build apartment person. Iím one of the middle who has to fend for themselves and now live much further out but I still have a fondness for it and still go out in the area. Ironcially I live at the south of the borough where people moan Southwark is building social housing at the expensive of cheap housing for everyone else so I guess you canít win wherever you live.

In case people werenít aware Londonís population is expanding rapidly and its central ring is expanding the backwater this area was when I first lived in SE1 many moons ago is a world away from the vibrant centre of a city feel it is today. Itís unrealistic to think your little backwater is not going to change. I donít see many moaning about getting the Jubliee line or all the cultural offerings , new restaurants, bars, shops etc SE1. Itís not two up two down suburbia but inner city London.
Thursday 5 March 2015 4.47pm
When there is more information about this particular proposed development I'll post it. I think it's important that people are well informed of what is going on in the area regardless of their views. I would like to request that this thread doesn't descend into another debate about housing, at least not until we get to see the proposal from DevSec and Southwark Council.
Thursday 5 March 2015 4.51pm
Lambeth local (is that an oxymoron for somebody living in the deep south of Southwark?) would you please explain to me what an "abundant council tenant" is.
Thursday 5 March 2015 5.06pm
To put the development into context, the Palestra building across the road takes up about the same plot size and fits 300,000ft2 office space into 14 floors, and its shadow is predominantly cast over the railway lines.

If this development keeps to the 225,000ft2 mentioned in the statement then it shouldn't need to be much higher than the Palestra, and it won't be blocking anyone's sunlight.

It will likely block my views of the OXO and will impact the views from Vaughan House but it seems to be a better use of space than what is currently there, and will likely be a benefit to the area.

As somebody else stated earlier, we just need to try and lobby to get more social, and affordable, housing in the scheme and for something to be built that is sympathetic to the area and not an eyesore.
Thursday 5 March 2015 5.23pm
Thebunhouse - when people move Iím not sure itís a requirement here to re-register an account here and change your user name ( I see your safe with yours unless you move to thebunflat).

My point is this area is full of council housing. Itís not being wiped out as some seem to think. The people that have been wiped out are those that donít qualify for council housing or have the cash to live in new build flats or any flats for that matter in the area. If this development or similar provide some kind of affordable housing to built then itís better than the empty air that sits above the tube station currently. The station has been designed at any rate to put a big building on top.

When plans emerge here then by all means push Southwark for the maximum amount they should get out of the developers but donít attack development for the sake of it, especially in such a central location.
Thursday 5 March 2015 5.27pm
You've not answered Thebunhouse's sensible question re "abundant council tenant" and a definition thereof.
Thursday 5 March 2015 6.28pm
David S. If you look at their press release, they are stating that the proposed site that they want to build on is one acre. I estimate that the combined measurement of Algarve House and Southwark Station is a quarter of an acre. Either they have exaggerated, or they have their sights on neighbouring streets and/or property, which is what they did last time they had a plan. They also approached the only leaseholder in the small block of flats last year and bought his flat. I think people forget that council blocks are now mixed usage flats - council tenants, private tenants and owner occupiers, so all those people who think it is okay to knock down a small council block to build a bigger private block will mean that people will lose their homes and won't be able to come back. No matter how small the scale, it is not okay to put a compulsory purchase order on someone's home just because a developer wants it and I think that even if the council wants to do this they should exhaust all possibilities first.
Thursday 5 March 2015 7.05pm
We know from others' bitter experiences that we cannot trust developers or Southwark Council to work in the best interests of local residents, and so I sympathise with Karen lying awake at night thinking about what might happen. This is not nimby ish at all.We would welcome development of new council/social rented homes and developments in SE1. What we do not want is more 1m flats that stand empty, as on the corner of Burrell Street and Blackfriars Road whilst people need a place to actually live in.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions