London SE1 community website

Development on top of Southwark Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Monday 17 July 2017 6.43pm
SE1 mag - can someone post a link to where the headline of this discussion can be found? I cannot see a planning application, rejected or not, on the Southwark website.
Monday 17 July 2017 7.16pm
There isn't a planning application yet.

The links in the blue box on this page headed "Related news & features" will give you some of the background to the story.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 18 July 2017 12.02am
I don't live in Styles House any more but I still have an interest in this subject. I am furious with the way TfL have presented this information. They do need to change their entrance because it is not disabled friendly and those wet, slippery stairs are an accident waiting to happen. However, they don't need to take up land that doesn't belong to them. It belongs to Southwark Council, and Southwark tenants live in the flats that appear to have disappeared. Southwark Council should not be allowed to sell off ANY land to private developers. It is needed for social housing. Southwark does not need another hotel. Southwark does not need more luxury housing. It needs social housing. U+ I are a dispicable group of companies and They bought Algarve House with the full intention of buying up the bit of Styles House that fronts onto the prestigious address that is The Cut. Algarve House is landlocked (Styles House on two sides, Southwark Council land on one side and then Joan Street on the forth side and is therefore, pretty useless to a company that likes to build big. Southwark Council needs to say NO to this company, instead they should give them no option but to sell Algarve House to them so they can build additional units to add to Styles House; they have enough money in the 'in leu' pot. I hope the meeting goes well next week; take minutes because Southwark Council won't. And remember, I have a letter from Cllr Johns saying that no Styles House land will be sold off unless residents agree. I also have a similar email from Kym Humphries from years ago; tes, that's how long this has been going on. Oh, and I believe that Kym Humphries is employed as a consultant on this one. A tenner says he's working for TfL or U+I. (Posting without proof reading this one finger typed missive).
Wednesday 19 July 2017 11.23am
Karen I wrote:
I don't live in Styles House any more but I still have an interest in this subject. I am furious with the way TfL have presented this information. They do need to change their entrance because it is not disabled friendly and those wet, slippery stairs are an accident waiting to happen. However, they don't need to take up land that doesn't belong to them. It belongs to Southwark Council, and Southwark tenants live in the flats that appear to have disappeared. Southwark Council should not be allowed to sell off ANY land to private developers. It is needed for social housing. Southwark does not need another hotel. Southwark does not need more luxury housing. It needs social housing. U+ I are a dispicable group of companies and They bought Algarve House with the full intention of buying up the bit of Styles House that fronts onto the prestigious address that is The Cut. Algarve House is landlocked (Styles House on two sides, Southwark Council land on one side and then Joan Street on the forth side and is therefore, pretty useless to a company that likes to build big. Southwark Council needs to say NO to this company, instead they should give them no option but to sell Algarve House to them so they can build additional units to add to Styles House; they have enough money in the 'in leu' pot. I hope the meeting goes well next week; take minutes because Southwark Council won't. And remember, I have a letter from Cllr Johns saying that no Styles House land will be sold off unless residents agree. I also have a similar email from Kym Humphries from years ago; tes, that's how long this has been going on. Oh, and I believe that Kym Humphries is employed as a consultant on this one. A tenner says he's working for TfL or U+I. (Posting without proof reading this one finger typed missive).

James Obrien on LBC would be very interested in this, I think he's about to embark on a bit of a mission against social cleansing.
Wednesday 19 July 2017 2.00pm
U+I/DEVSEC may not have had greatest record re social housing, but the TFL Framework was created and TFL pledged to create "thousands of affordable homes". While full plans for the Southwark Station haven't been released, I think it's a bit premature to assume that its all going to be luxury housing or expensive hotels.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2016/february/tfl-selects-13-property-partners-to-help-it-deliver-thousands-of-homes-for-lond states that 20-25% of the residential units at certain sites are to be affordable housing.

They're also partnering developers with RSLs to ensure affordable housing mix:
- Barratt Development PLC / London and Quadrant Housing Association (Consortium)
- U+I / Notting Hill Housing Group (Consortium)
- Mace Limited / Peabody Trust / DV4 Limited (Consortium)
- Mount Anvil Group Limited / Hyde Housing Association Limited

U+I as a developer in the past, would have been lead by the requirements of those providing the money. They also do Private Public Partnerships such as their work with TFL, and the whole focus of those developments is:
"Ultimately, together with our partners, we create vibrant new places that provide the amenities, homes, jobs and public assets that communities need and which public landowners would otherwise be too stretched to deliver on their own.". Councils can't afford to develop themselves but they have the land, so its a mutually beneficial agreement.

I'm not associated with any of the companies but people seem to be getting very angry assuming its all luxury flats and social cleansing but lets wait until they actually release plans.
TFL just last week finally announced plans for Landmark Court off Southwark Street which has been empty for 25 years and used as a car park:
http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/tfl-announces-partner-to-redevelop-southwarks-landmark-court/

That project is with U+I as well :
"Located within walking distance of London Bridge station, Borough Market, the Tate Modern and the Globe Theatre, the site will gain 80 new homes, 35 of which will be affordable, as well around 130,000 sq ft of new commercial, retail and workspace."

44% of the units are earmarked as affordable so I don't think TFL are planning on being the ruthless developers that some people fear they are. TFL need approvals and cooperation from Southwark Council and I'm hopeful that they're going employ an equally good mix of affordable vs market rate properties on the other sites since most councils are refusing payments in lieu now since they dont have anywhere to develop standalone affordable units.
Wednesday 19 July 2017 4.38pm
Styles House and the renamed U+I are very familiar with each other. They have, for years, tried to get their hands on Styles House grounds. Their last plan was basically a land swap - we'll knock down the small block and have the frontage and you can have Algarve House at the back. Their previous plan was worse - we'll knock down the small block and have the frontage and we'll build you another block in the shadow of the tall block in your car park and summer garden (their plans went right through our boiler house!). They bought Algarve House, knowing it was 'land locked' with the full intention of trying to buy up parts of Styles House building and garden. This was before they joined with TfL. They admitted to us that if they built their current plan, they would not be able to make enough profit if they put in affordable housing and they would build it (or more likely give the money to the council) somewhere else in the borough. Styles House has instigated lots of meetings with this company but they seem unable to come up with a plan that does not involves taking over large parts of Styles House grounds. Styles House has also instigated meetings with the council to come up with a solution that would provide more social housing and we almost succeeded some years ago but the council vetoed it. Styles House is still working with the council with the aims of providing more social housing. U+I are only interested in Affordable Housing on site and not social housing and we all know that this means one bedroom units in the least desirable aspect starting at around 500k; so not really affordable. TfL may have more altruistic plans than U+I as they don't have to answer to shareholders. Check out U+I's website and you'll see it is all about their portfolio of investment and shareholder dividends. Just to put it into some kind of perspective, Styles House has been fighting against a 'takeover' for 15 years. There are other threads related to this if you care to read them and you will see why we have a problem trusting both U+I and LBS.
Wednesday 26 July 2017 9.33am
Styles House; good luck with your meeting with the council and U+I tonight. Not sure why U+I are still involved as I thought Styles House were not interested in working with this apparent land-grabbing company and had already told the council. Hoping the council haven't had too many secret meetings with U+I and already hatched a plan. Be strong and calm.
Thursday 27 July 2017 1.54am
No it's not up to Southwark Council to decide what's good or not for us. We are supposed to have the final word but with LBS sniffing round Singapore, Malaysia & Dubai, you don't honestly believe what the Council and developers tell you, do you? If so then you're incredibly naive. Actually Southwark station is not an absolute beauty, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if you don't behold it, tough! We're now getting a surfeit of really ugly buildings, this latest is YUK!
No the Community Office doesn't do green or any other benefits to make this borough a place you'd want to visit, live, work, rest, play, retire and pass on.

We'll never see A FAIRER FUTURE FOR ALL in Southwark in our lifetime, or even when we've (the present residents) shuffled off this mortal coil as others will have to suffer tasteless policies! I've called them ugly as there's no politer phrase! Another thought, some of us may recall a Director of Regeneration, Fred Manson, responsible for the Pulse and Peckham Library? We're fulfilling his dream: Hong Kong on Thames where the only way to build is UP!

Has the archaeological dig found any politicians yet?

Stephanie
Wednesday 2 August 2017 1.33pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9351
Architects calling for Southwark station to be saved from demolition. The most interesting part of this story is that it says there was an architect responsible for Palestra. I had always assumed it was the result of a primary school competition.
Thursday 21 September 2017 3.31pm
Well it seems that TfL has finally declared it's intentions:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/20170927-finance-committee-item-4-southwark.pdf

It looks like they are taking over where u+i left off, although the piece of Styles House they want to acquire is not quite so big. However, and this is a big however, some of the land they intend to include in the 'land swap' cannot be built on because it is over the station tunnels,. What is really interesting here, is that TfL do not NEED to acquire any more land, they just WANT to, despite it having council flats built on it. The proposal, which is going to be 'considered in public' - whatever that means - seems quite reasonable until you know the site and the background and I'm trying to work out how LBS will really benefit. (It's not clear who will pay to build the replacement, and additional properties.)

The Finance Committee meeting is on 27 September.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions