London SE1 community website

Development on top of Southwark Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Friday 2 February 2018 12.42pm
I no longer live in Styles House, but having spent 34 years of my adult life there, I am obviously still interested in TfLs plans to build on top of Southwark Station and its intention to include some of the land that is owned by Southwark Council and on which sits Styles House. I've had a sneaky peak of the proposals and it still involves a land swap with TfL getting the better deal ie they get the sunny bit that fronts The Cut, and Southwark Council get to build on the bit at the back that faces the noisy bars and restaurants. I can't remember off hand how many flats will be built, but with the small block at the front being demolished and therefore losing 8 flats, I'm sure the net gain is only about 10 flats. It's not clear who will pay for the rebuild either. I just don't get it. Why don't the council just hang on to the land and increase their housing stock themselves; they certainly have the money from all the in-lieu payments from developers. Styles House residents have bent over backwards to try to accommodate TfL, and formerly DevSec, and have spent hours and hours in meetings trying to reach a compromise with these people but each time they just come up with the same plan. Styles House TMO is keen to improve council stock on the land, it is not a group that don't want change or development, but this is really taking the biscuit. Wake up Southwark Council and kick these land-grabbers into touch and get building yourself. Give Styles House something to be proud of; they are a model estate and deserve to be treated better than this. I don't think the proposals are secret and if I can, I will post the document that was presented at last nights meeting between TfL and Styles House.
Zoe
Saturday 3 February 2018 4.16pm
The plan is to build offices including demolishing some council homes for these offices. The replacement homes will be squashed into the rest of the gardens on Styles House. Itís a terrible plan and we canít believe TfL would come up with something that is so destructive to the community.
Sunday 4 February 2018 4.35pm
IT is a terrible plan but TfL WANT that bit of land because it's in a better position than the land they own (I assume they still have plans to 'buy' Algarve House from U+I). They don't NEED any extra land, they just want to swap what they have with you. They want to swap plastic with leather, polyester with silk etc. They want The Cut in their address and not Joan Street.
Tuesday 6 February 2018 5.09pm
Here are the proposals:

https://gofile.io/?c=MXqvzY

It would be interesting to see what people think about the land swap in particular.
Tuesday 19 June 2018 10.54pm
This is interesting:
https://www.fgould.com/uk-europe/projects/southwark-tube-cut/

If anyone can find any further information I would be grateful.
Zoe
Wednesday 20 June 2018 8.38pm
Wow thatís ugly
Friday 22 June 2018 10.56pm
IT certainly is. It also looks like it extends over Joan Street, but I might be wrong. I emailed the guy listed at the bottom of the article asking the size and extent of the building but he hasn't replied. I might just pester him until he does. Has Styles House been given any information about this plan?
Tuesday 26 June 2018 8.12am
Algarve House temporary change of use extension:
https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9578723&activeTab=summary

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 July 2018 8.18am
I got a reply from the person listed at the bottom of the article. He doesn't seem to know the size and extent of the development. He must have something to hide otherwise he would have redirected me to someone who does. I shall asks him!
Wednesday 4 July 2018 3.40pm
Zoe wrote:
Wow thatís ugly

Holy mackerel, it is indeed!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions