London SE1 community website

Development on top of Southwark Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8
Thursday 7 March 2019 7.13am
Interesting. Arranging for a land transfer seems to jump the gun because this aspect is key to discussions and these are still ongoing. In my opinion, the council should have an independent valuation of the land to ensure a fair swap anyway. Southwark Council seem very keen to comply with TfL; letís hope they havenít forgotten they promised that residents would have the final say. As I understand it, residents would prefer to keep the land and get the council to rebuild on the site but the council seems reluctant. Styles House will be over-powered and plunged into darkness if TfL build their proposed design so I donít blame them. Hey! And now I donít live there any more, I canít be called a NIMBY.
Friday 8 March 2019 9.46am
I am surprised that TfL hasn't combined with the developer and bought, surreptitiously, any flats in Styles House that come onto the property market. They could get every flat offered on the market by paying more than the market price which would remain an ever increasing asset whether their plans are allowed or not.

Thus, having bought five or six or more flats they could, and should, have the strongest representation on Styles House Tenant Management Organisation and could control the voice of SHTMO and consult with Southwark Council from both sides of the fence.
So, instead of there being disagreement in the consultation as there would be in tripartite talks and consultations there could only be agreement because TfL/Developer and SHTMO would be one and the same thing and Southwark Council do like a high-rise building at any cost.

And ... the ordinary council tenants would once again be the losers with grateful thanks to TfL, Developers, Southwark Council and those previous owners who sold out to the developers.

And that would be 'Fait accompli'.

But hey-ho that's the world we live in today, a world of mini Trumps.
Friday 8 March 2019 7.29pm
U+I bought 4 or 5 flats in the block and they have sold them to TfL. The TMO, who are still trying to negotiate a fair deal want these flats to revert back to the council if a deal is struck. It's all very distressing for residents and some don't feel that the council is actually listening, and TfL go through the same old stuff that U+I did. As far as I can see, Southwark Station will not close the station during building works and so any development will be reliable on the proposed new entrance on Greet Street which is a ridiculous site for a station entrance. If I still lived there I would be very upset to lose some of the garden but I would prefer to keep the boundary as it is and work with the council to develop some more housing on site rather than the land swap as proposed by TfL. (These are my views and not the views of residents.)
Monday 11 March 2019 10.17am
Quote Bunhouse: ďAnd ... the ordinary council tenants would once again be the losers with grateful thanks to TfL, Developers, Southwark Council and those previous owners who sold out to the developers.ď

Iím not sure how many residents sold out to the developers intentially. My flat was advertised on the open market and bought by U+I. Of course I found out quite early on in the process but I had a house lined up and wasnít going to risk my Ďno chainí status. Do I feel guilty; only a bit because it wasnít a conscious decision and itís why I keep bringing this thread back to the front page (thanks James). However, only residents can vote on some TMO matters so TfL donít always get a say. When it comes to the bigger vote; itís homeowners and council tenants only but I think the TMO could could challenge whether TfL have a vote because they have a financial stake in the decision. I think they bought the flats with the intention of decamping people from the bedsitters into the main block should they succeed in their plans and then giving these back to the council instead of a Ďin lieuí affordable housing scam.
Monday 11 March 2019 10.18am
Quote Bunhouse: ďAnd ... the ordinary council tenants would once again be the losers with grateful thanks to TfL, Developers, Southwark Council and those previous owners who sold out to the developers.ď

Iím not sure how many residents sold out to the developers intentially. My flat was advertised on the open market and bought by U+I. Of course I found out quite early on in the process but I had a house lined up and wasnít going to risk my Ďno chainí status. Do I feel guilty; only a bit because it wasnít a conscious decision and itís why I keep bringing this thread back to the front page (thanks James). However, only residents can vote on some TMO matters so TfL donít always get a say. When it comes to the bigger vote; itís homeowners and council tenants only but I think the TMO could could challenge whether TfL have a vote because they have a financial stake in the decision. I think they bought the flats with the intention of decamping people from the bedsitters into the main block should they succeed in their plans and then giving these back to the council instead of a Ďin lieuí affordable housing scam.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions