London SE1 community website

Unexploded WWII bomb in Grange Walk, Bermondsey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Monday 23 March 2015 5.00pm
Police say it's a 1,000 lb bomb at Grange Walk site. Officer reckons situation unlikely to be resolved today

big area evacuated. Main Shelter is Seven Islands Leisure Centre in se16
Monday 23 March 2015 5.05pm
Can anyone confirm if Alscot Rd is now open to pedestrians and residents, it says the outer cordon is only prohibited to traffic..
Monday 23 March 2015 5.17pm
I live at Alaska and we can get into building and others on same side of Grange Rd appear to be ok too. Just been out and chatted to police who said that situation would probably continue overnight. Pages Walk is open
Monday 23 March 2015 5.19pm
darrenm wrote:
Can anyone confirm if Alscot Rd is now open to pedestrians and residents, it says the outer cordon is only prohibited to traffic..

I can see pedestrians on Grange Rd end of Alscot Rd now.
Monday 23 March 2015 5.34pm
Pedestrians on Neckinger, no cars, it's lovely and quiet!
Monday 23 March 2015 7.23pm
I live in Bolanachi. Should I stay or go? Necking we is behind us/next. No police on Enid st
Monday 23 March 2015 7.41pm
Latest audio update from Stephen Douglass at Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Community Council:

https://audioboom.com/boos/3016158-7-20pm-bermondsey-bomb-update-from-stephen-douglass-of-southwark-council

Audio updates are also embedded here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8154 - no login required

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 March 2015 8.38pm
Looking at where this bomb is located and the difficulty in defusing it, the bravery of our UXB boys is beyond doubt. Makes me feel quite weepy!
Monday 23 March 2015 8.40pm
Just called TFL/CC London regarding CC zone charges - apparently it has not been declared an 'official diversion' yet!!! So if you cannot get home and have to enter CC zone you will have to pay the charge - no refunds!
How on earth can it be unofficial when police, army bomb disposal et al have been there since this morning with major roads cordoned off! Madness!
Monday 23 March 2015 8.49pm
News just in....Vera Lynn's agent has been in touch and she is available for a show tomorrow at the Seven Islands Leisure Centre. In other news, the NAAFI have set up a tea van in Spa Road. The first shipload of Yanks are expected here by Wednesday, with their chocolate and silk stockings. Yes, we have no bananas. Unconfirmed reports that a framed photo of Hermann Goering has been given pride of place in the SE1 offices have been strongly denied. And finally, turn that light off, don't yer know there's a war on!?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions