London SE1 community website

Housing, development, and the changing population - Discuss!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11
Monday 20 July 2015 10.44pm
Floodplain wrote:
Pros,
No. I didn't say that Southwark are beyond criticism. It's just that you seem to be waging an incessant war against senior Labour politicians

that's news to me :)
Tuesday 21 July 2015 3.30pm
Well, this makes for interesting reading.
Tuesday 21 July 2015 5.19pm
So does this.

http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/my-conscience-is-clear-council-leader-peter-john-comes-out-fighting-as-heygate-deal-scrutinised/

If we build lots of millionnaire flats, perhaps the developers will give us the small change to build a few council homes far far away to shut our critics up.

Thanks pros for all your facts and figures.
Tuesday 21 July 2015 9.51pm
Are you actually reading what Councillor John is saying?

This is about the harsh realities of getting the private sector to pay towards social housing. This is not a system created by Labour in Southwark.

If you all think you can do a better job, then why not try popping along to central Government and asking them for a few million to build some new social housing units. It's not going to happen, is it?

Labour did an excellent job of getting the Elephant redevelopment moving after years of prevarication and indecision from the Liberal Democrats. It is absolutely the case that trying to persuade developers to invest in the area 5 years ago was a very different proposition to now.

I sometimes wonder how anything gets built in London. All this transparency is great in theory, but it's just going to slow everything down even further. Meanwhile, ordinary people just want somewhere to live.

Final point is that these articles and 'blogs' are just option pieces, not repositories of facts and figures.
Saturday 25 July 2015 6.06pm
Not as though we did not know this was going on, but I wonder how many of the new glitzy tower developments in SE1 are bought up with laundered money? I would love to know how many stand empty too?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/25/london-housing-market-launder-offshore-tax-havens
Tuesday 28 July 2015 6.25pm
Channel Four News intervewing Global Witness representative just now, and wondering how much dirty money has already found its way into the SE1 property development explosion?

https://www.globalwitness.org/press-releases/prime-minister-david-cameron-vows-clamp-down-corrupt-money-uk-property-market/
Wednesday 29 July 2015 5.29pm
Southwark in the news again. Gentrification, pricing people out of the area they once lived in, developers profiteering, people being moved away from London, un affordable affordable housing.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/29/sweets-way-london-regeneration-luxury-developments
Wednesday 29 July 2015 7.09pm
Taking a look through the thread I started a few months ago and sad to see that it's reverted to the re-hashing of opinions on the merits of regeneration (like half the housing threads on this site). I was hoping that we'd see some discussion based on facts and figures (backed up by proper research, not puff pieces) as to how we deal with the increasing housing demands in our borough. Does anyone actually have any viable alternative ideas as to how we deal with the 50,000 new Southwark residents that are expected in the next 15 years? If it's not the current course of development and regeneration, then what's the solution?
Thursday 20 August 2015 6.03pm
Today one of the local newspapers carried a full page ad by Lend Lease advertising the properties for sale at Elephant Park, the development that replaces the Heygate Estate.

The main selling point on the ad is the location, one none of the former council tenants and leaseholders will be able to afford.

Prices start at 436,000 for one of the less desirable studio apartments: many times more than what leaseholders of two and three bedroom flats were offered when they were subjected to a compulsory purchase order.

This whole affair stinks...

Thursday 20 August 2015 7.00pm
What are developers supposed to do. They are accountable to shareholders i.e you and me through pension funds and private investors. These companies are not charities, They compensate the councils for the land. Ask what the councils are spending the money on. Probably repayments on loans and pension deficits, It would be great if everybody could have an affordable place to live in, in zone 1 central london but dont see how that will ever be possible again. Times have changed its not going to happen. We could drive business and investors out of london an free up properties but then why would you want live in london? There needs to be a Balance i agree but folks need to help themselves instead of expecting everything to be handed to them on a plate.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions