London SE1 community website

Housing, development, and the changing population - Discuss!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11
Monday 29 June 2015 4.59pm
The old Ferrier was pretty grim though.
Monday 29 June 2015 7.29pm
"pretty grim" or otherwise. We are talking about people being moved from their homes and neighbourhoods so that developers can put up something for a quick profit that will look equally grim in a few years.
It is well documented that the reputation of such estates is deliberately manipulated, and the stories from those who lived on them do not match the myths.
It happens over and over again.
What is grim is that developers get away with it, aided by local councils.
Wednesday 1 July 2015 5.50pm
Spotted this gem in the SE1 article about Neil Coyle's maiden speech in which

"he praised the authority as "one of the most progressive in the country", highlighting the park being created as part of the Heygate Estate redevelopment and the new leisure centre opening soon at Elephant & Castle"

Not quite how former residents of the Heygate would describe what happened.
Neil Coyle get out and about and speak to residents please to get the whole story.
Wednesday 1 July 2015 6.02pm
JazzyQ wrote:
"pretty grim" or otherwise. We are talking about people being moved from their homes and neighbourhoods so that developers can put up something for a quick profit that will look equally grim in a few years.

Couldn't agree more with you, Jazzy. The Ferrier was allowed to become rundown (grim) so that a prime piece of land could be passed over for development.

These new places are very quickly put up. I suspect they come down just as easily! Problem is the council housing formerly there will never be replaced. That's the travesty. All the while some greedy developer is lining their pockets whilst people's homes are taken from them in the name of redevelopment.

JazzyQ wrote:
Not quite how former residents of the Heygate would describe what happened.
Neil Coyle get out and about and speak to residents please to get the whole story.

Coyle has already made clear that it is nothing to do with him!
Wednesday 1 July 2015 8.15pm
Well GS it has a lot to do with elected representatives. They are not there to do their own thing, and cosy up to developers and Lend Leeches, though it must be tempting.
I shall follow his glittering career with interest.
Thursday 2 July 2015 7.30am
Mr Coyle,' the park being created' at the Heygate was not due to the developers as approximately 400 mature trees were there already I believe.
Monday 6 July 2015 10.30am
I wonder how many SE1 residents will be affected by this (removal of subsidies for social housing) and how it will affect them. More people being forced to move out of the area?
Monday 6 July 2015 10.48am
Tis very concerning. Government going on about wanting people to work, but this will stop, say, a wife deciding to work as it will take a married couple over the threshold.
Monday 6 July 2015 11.18am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Tis very concerning. Government going on about wanting people to work, but this will stop, say, a wife deciding to work as it will take a married couple over the threshold.

I have a little more faith in people than that - most people I know WANT to work. I am sure the Tories won't make it that easy for people to "cheat" the system. On the contrary, I am sure they have devised some plan whereby it WILL drive people out of the area. They will probably redefine their old "On your bike!" adage.
Monday 6 July 2015 11.54am
I'm not disputing that people WANT to work. Problem is that, as you say, it will drive people out of the area, especially if it's an all or nothing policy, e.g. anything under 40k then social rent, over 40k = market rent.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions