London SE1 community website

Housing, development, and the changing population - Discuss!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11
Tuesday 7 July 2015 6.06pm
Well we had keepmoat in our area of SE16 for ages and they messed up most things and now been informed they may return to do more works again which makes me want to run away.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 10.40pm
Haven't seen the programme yet, but should be quite revealing.
Friday 10 July 2015 8.56am
An interesting article on a familiar theme, with some interesting local history snippets. Sad to see our area losing so much in order to gain so little in return (empty gold brick properties, blocks of flats that no locals can afford. You know the list well)

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/09/the-maccabees-its-impossible-bands-cant-afford-to-live-in-london-any-more
Friday 10 July 2015 9.19am
The appalling shifting of the Heygate community will for ever be a stain, if any more were needed, on the reputation of Southwark Council. And Neil Coyle is someone who has no history in our area and the endless vicissitudes we have suffered during the last fifteen years so I find his remarks empty rhetoric typical of politicos just opening their mouths.
Sunday 12 July 2015 4.10pm
Just watching a documentary on Ch4 called "From Russia With Cash" Noticed Ben Judah was a consultant and I like his writing.
It is set in west London and examines the reactions of five estate agents to a Russian buyer who makes it quite clear that the money he has is from the proceeds of crime, and he is laundering it through property purchasing. The buyer is after high value property 3m-15m. It made me wonder about the high value property going up in our area,though the Russian buyer stated that he was not interested in anything near social housing. Of course,if you evacuate the residents and knock it down and build new gleaming flats then there won't be a problem. It is all about money. Funny money, dirty money, stolen money, greedy estate agents hungry for their commission,and bent lawyers turning a blind eye when they know exactly what is going on. It is still on the web so I recommend watching it.
Tuesday 14 July 2015 3.50pm
Southwark is star of the show again, for all the wrong reasons.Hope this film embarrasses our planners and politicians, and wakes up the people who need to get more vocal and put a stop to what Alain de Botton calls "desecration"

This short film is spot on.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/video/2015/jul/14/alain-de-botton-london-becoming-bad-version-of-dubai
jpm
Tuesday 14 July 2015 4.58pm
In the meantime, some of us are trying to push in the opposite direction with resident-led building of new council homes in SE1.

The planning application for the first 27 homes brought forward by Leathermarket Community Benefit Society on the corner of the Kipling Estate (spitting distance from the shard) has just gone in.

Obviously we'd like to get as much support from this as possible. The residents who have helped design these new homes - and will move into them - think they're marvellous!
Tuesday 14 July 2015 6.22pm
This is terrific jpm. Just what the borough needs, and million miles away from these investor towers and so called "fun" architecture. I would love to know more about your project and how you went about it to pass on to our residents and landowner.
Tuesday 14 July 2015 10.47pm
JazzyQ, your Alain de Botton short film is spot on. We must make it clear that we are not against redevelopment per se where necessary and appropriate. We should concentrate on two things -

1. The maintenance of mixed communities in central London including those who do the jobs which keep London operating as well as those who do the high falutin' jobs.

2. Keep heights to no more than (say) 8 stories outside the specific clusters of high rise buildings in for example the City and Canary Wharf. Clearly high densities can be achieved without high rise. The destruction of the character and the vistas which entitle us to regard our city as the world's greatest must stop before its too late i.e.now.
Wednesday 15 July 2015 8.18am
Agree agree...the number of towers going up while I watch is so depressing...and the new Shopping Centre is going to be another cluster of horribly dense rabbit hutches obliterating any views that I bought into...I understand this is not about ME, but till recently South London was so nicely LOW. Every time I came over the bridges I would rejoice. No more, alas.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions