London SE1 community website

Housing, development, and the changing population - Discuss!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11
Wednesday 15 July 2015 10.46am
Depressing to read of another 19 storey tower in Bankside on SE1 Twitter, and the usual fancy footwork of "in lieu" payment to make sure that only the desirables will set foot in the area. Or rather, invest in the area. I may have mentioned that across from where I live most of the lights are off in the evenings. Just a handful of the Neos seem to be lived in.
I agree with you Dennis L. we do need to keep our mixed communities and low rise developments, and we do need to make sure that people are housed. This simple observation seems to escape planners and politicians who build build build millionnaire and billionnaire empty properties for speculation.
Wednesday 15 July 2015 11.15am
What would make London a fairer city?

Here is our chance to say what we think about this question.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/jul/13/what-would-make-london-fairer-city-fairness-commission
Thursday 16 July 2015 7.46am
The NEO Bankside in SE1 is up for RIBA's Stirling architecture prize:

BBC News wrote:
Built for 132m, the NEO Bankside development is "a group of exquisite towers" behind the Tate Modern gallery in London that is, according to this year's judges, "a well-mannered example of a structurally expressive architecture".
Praising its "intricate weaving of public and private space", the judges said the un-gated luxury development offers "seductive.... high-quality housing you would be unlikely to see elsewhere in the world".

"Overall the scheme has a scale and a richness that is appropriate... to this important part of London," the panel continued.
Thursday 16 July 2015 9.27am
"bulging out of their bracing like a herd of overweight bankers swaggering through the neighbourhood"

I wonder which Southwark development the writer is talking about?

"Not something to be celebrated with an award"

Answers in the article below
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/jul/16/stirling-prize-2015-uk-housing-crisis
Saturday 18 July 2015 2.30pm
don't know if you were aware of this (sorry if someone had already posted it), i only found out about it today - savills have now completed their report on the council housing in southwark & 'graded' each of the estates.
the report's to be 'considered/discussed' at the cabinet meeting this tuesday http://t.co/YyDV663Kwf
Saturday 18 July 2015 3.08pm
Thanks for sharing, Pros. Very interesting to see. Apparently my estate is sustainable but below NPV. Wonder how much the council has wasted on obtaining such a report.
Saturday 18 July 2015 3.30pm
following lord adonis' 'plans', there's worry this report will be used to 'justify' (not that anything can) even more demolition of council estates around southwark.

as for the cost of the report, we've been going through the council's monthly spendings since august 2010, the council's paid 517,733.70 to savills between august 2010 and december 2013(presumably for different services, not identified in the spreadsheets)
Saturday 18 July 2015 3.39pm
Absolutely scandalous. Perhaps if that money was spent on maintaining housing stock it might have more sustainability. What profligate spending of taxpayer money.
Saturday 18 July 2015 3.46pm
scandalous and then some. following this https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/empty_homes_on_the_aylesbury_est#incoming-630832 we calculated that, every single month homes on the aylesbury estate are empty, the council is not collecting approximately 250K (a month) on rent alone.
Sunday 19 July 2015 7.01pm
Pros:

Scandalous is the allocation of subsidised public housing located in prime zone 1 areas to those who can choose to live a life on benefits - this in a city with high employment.

I challenge you to make another freedom of information request - but this time for us to see the shockingly high proportion of tenants on working age benefits with the gold-plated privilege of a lifetime tenancy in a Council Property.

Scandalous is the fact that hard-working people who could never ever qualify for a Council flat in the unfair and politically biased allocation system have to commute into London every morning past the closed curtains of the indolent dozing workless in taxpayer-subsidised council flats.

As a Council taxpayer - I am really pleased that we have a responsible and pro-active Labour Council looking into reform and development of these Council Estates. They have the difficult job of running our borough on less money - they don't have the luxury available to you of continual protest.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions