London SE1 community website

Housing, development, and the changing population - Discuss!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11
Sunday 19 July 2015 7.23pm
Floodplain, the council is losing 250,000 in rent for each month these properties stand empty. How is that responsible and proactive?

Don't tar all tenants with the same brush. Some of us work every hour God sends, seven days a week, with no benefits... Some of those who are unemployed are so with good reason - disability,etc.
Sunday 19 July 2015 7.48pm
Gavin,

Yes, absolutely, I know - I'm not referring here to working tenants, retired tenants or disabled tenants.

It is those tenants of working age who choose not to work and take the handouts and the free rent. That is a scandal and must be stopped.

The connection in the Savills report between financial viability of estates and how may of the tenants actually work is a real breakthrough here and exciting times lie ahead to reform the system and redevelop more estates and get more Council homes built. How could anyone argue with that?

With a progressive Labour administration a real chance exists to return Council housing back to its roots - homes for local working people.

Sounds good to me.
Sunday 19 July 2015 10.04pm
Please read the Southwark document linked to the article - the commented sums cover 20 sites, not just Long Lane.

The use of amquestion mark in the headline hopefully gives you a clue that this is an opinion piece raising a supposition, and not based on fact.

Cynical of you to use a development industry mouthpiece to further your objectives. Estates Gazette are no friends of social housing.

Labour won the local elections convincingly. They are the best chance of achieving more affordable housing - they deserve support from all local people to get this job done.

I just want you to stop criticising them, I find it very unfair.
Monday 20 July 2015 9.59am
Floodplain wrote:
Yes, absolutely, I know - I'm not referring here to working tenants, retired tenants or disabled tenants.
It is those tenants of working age who choose not to work and take the handouts and the free rent. That is a scandal and must be stopped.

Sorry, I had misunderstood. Yes, I'm absolutely with you on this.
Monday 20 July 2015 12.21pm
To qualify for JOBSEEKERS (if it's still called that)allowance, they have to prove that they are looking for work, if they don't prove that, they get nothing.
What exactly should we be stopping here? If people are unemployable then we have to carry the can for that, it might not, necessarily, be their fault.

I tell you, the moment you go down this line it opens up all sorts of possibilities. It's all about viability and the next thing will be - what do pensioners bring to the table? Don't kid yourself that disability will escape either.
Monday 20 July 2015 4.13pm
floodplain, just out of interest, are you saying i shouldn't criticise the council or that nobody should?
Monday 20 July 2015 4.21pm
Pros, I think that's the gist of Floodplain's point, which I think is wholly unfair. Without your investigations, I for one wouldn't know that the council was wasting 250,000 per month in lost rent. That is scandalous.

Floodplain wrote:
...they deserve support from all local people to get this job done.
I just want you to stop criticising them, I find it very unfair.

They don't deserve support from all local people. If this was the case then they would have secured 100% of the vote. They didn't. What is "unfair" about Pros highlighting clear fact and educating, certainly me, as to the Labour administration's profligate spending/wasteful use of resources available to it to generate income?
Monday 20 July 2015 4.50pm
glad you find it helpful, gavin smith. tbh i found the 'argument' quite confusing, as surely the same reasoning could be applied to the government in westminster, ie it would equally 'unfair' to criticise/scrutinise what they're doing etc.
Monday 20 July 2015 10.20pm
Pros,

No. I didn't say that Southwark are beyond criticism. It's just that you seem to be waging an incessant war against senior Labour politicians who in my view are the absolute best chance we are ever going to get to increase investment in affordable housing.

I am sure you will agree that it's always far easier to criticise than to actually do something.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions