London SE1 community website

Open Streets - 30 May 2015

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Tuesday 14 April 2015 8.54am
Yes I know but only because Karen mentioned it here...
Tuesday 14 April 2015 9.37am
catflap wrote:
Yes I know but only because Karen mentioned it here...

Well, that's one of the great things about the SE1 forum, isn't it.
Tuesday 14 April 2015 11.25am
Would've been courteous for the organisers and the council to discuss with residents first. It doesn't get less social and community minded than the behaviour exhibited by these organisations.

We've got a park 30 secs away, it's this thing right, where children can runaround and play without being in danger of cars. People from all over the community can meet up there. They can bring picnics rather than being ripped off by 'street food' vendors. No P.R company to tell us what to do either.
Tuesday 14 April 2015 12.53pm
I am in favour of it. Cars are on the road the other 364 days of the year, a day's respite is nice. Cars themselves are anti social.

One day will not harm you catflap.
You should learn to relax and not be such a snipey troll moaner, you might live longer. Come down and have some food in the street and meet some neighbours.
Tuesday 14 April 2015 1.01pm
I think it's part of the Blackfriars Road Stories project, I heard via an email from David Noakes and Dan Tayor from Southwark Council. Catflap does raise an interesting point though, why not just have the event around Nelson Square Gardens; at least there's some grass to sit on there. I don't know how much of Great Suffolk Street will be closed but it is a bit dreary round there. At a meeting last year about the BR Stories project, a couple of people complained about the lack of advertising of events in the area eg the Waterloo Carnival. Sadly I will be on a TMO training day learning about finacial management. Oh joy
Tuesday 14 April 2015 1.51pm
Karen I wrote:
I don't know how much of Great Suffolk Street will be closed

Key:
Tuesday 14 April 2015 2.37pm
kevinruairi wrote:
I'm white but not middle class, but I like streets without cars, even if it's just for a day. Aren't cars more middle class than bikes these days anyway? Look at cities like bogota where they do this every week, it is fantastic for families and kids to go out and play in the streets and not worry about getting killed.
BOGOTA??? and the relevance is?
Tuesday 14 April 2015 3.02pm
Pardon me, didn't realise I had no rights to an opinion on events on my own street. Sorry boss. I can't wait for spindrift to let rip next. My compliments to your mother on raising you so well, such lovely manners and empathy for those around you.

If this was a community event it would be somewhere like nelson gardens as Karen mentioned. This is for people from suburbia and beyond who will drive here just like they do for the skyride.

We have the skyride and bermondsey street festival already it's not adding anything new.

The people organising it tried to commandeer Southwark street last year, yards from the traffic free Thames path, they thought it would be good to shut a major road for people to have a bit of a walk...they're not the brightest pennies..

Thanks again for letting me know I have no rights to a voice in my own neighbourhood.
Tuesday 14 April 2015 4.23pm
catflap wrote:
Pardon me, didn't realise I had no rights to an opinion on events on my own street. Sorry boss. I can't wait for spindrift to let rip next. My compliments to your mother on raising you so well, such lovely manners and empathy for those around you.
If this was a community event it would be somewhere like nelson gardens as Karen mentioned. This is for people from suburbia and beyond who will drive here just like they do for the skyride.

We have the skyride and bermondsey street festival already it's not adding anything new.

The people organising it tried to commandeer Southwark street last year, yards from the traffic free Thames path, they thought it would be good to shut a major road for people to have a bit of a walk...they're not the brightest pennies..

Thanks again for letting me know I have no rights to a voice in my own neighbourhood.

Isn't that a bit melodramatic? I am sure no one will prevent you from taking your concerns to the Council, the organisers or whoever else you find is involved in the event and voice your opinion there. If any of your neighbours or other people affected agree with you, they might even join you, no?
Tuesday 14 April 2015 5.11pm
Melodramatic / tantrum definitely describes it best.

Just because you live on a street doesnt mean you represent its views completely either.

I look forward to the day when car free events and closures like this are regular and commonplace.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions