London SE1 community website

Open Streets - 30 May 2015

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Tuesday 14 April 2015 7.26pm
kevinruairi wrote:
Melodramatic / tantrum definitely describes it best.

Just because you live on a street doesnt mean you represent its views completely either.

I look forward to the day when car free events and closures like this are regular and commonplace.

Infinitely better than "snipey troll" :P
Tuesday 14 April 2015 8.07pm
boroughonian wrote:
kevinruairi wrote:
Melodramatic / tantrum definitely describes it best.

Just because you live on a street doesnt mean you represent its views completely either.

I look forward to the day when car free events and closures like this are regular and commonplace.

Infinitely better than "snipey troll" :P
\
I also find that poster's comment to "Come down and have some food in the street and meet some neighbours" quite ironic. I like the event, but I am not sure kevinruairi is the kind of neighbour I'd go and look for to have a good time. Neither am I, but at least I have no illusions in that regard.
Tuesday 14 April 2015 8.17pm
Please can we return the thread to commenting on the Open Streets event rather than on each other?

FWIW, I met the organisers a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed with how many local businesses / organisations / groups they had got involved.

The whole thing is very much rooted in the locality - in contrast to the more corporate Freewheel / Skyride type events that catflap mentioned.

That said I can understand why catflap would be annoyed to hear of the event in this way - but personally I'm looking forward to it.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 14 April 2015 8.21pm
When I was an 11 year old boy, back in '73, the city I was living in (Rome, Italy) was forced to adopt some rather radical austerity measures due to the oil crisis:

No private motor vehicles at all were allowed to travel on Sundays and Bank Holidays.

It was wonderful! Streets and major roads were open to all those who could not make use of them before.

Imagine roller skating on the Westway with hundreds of others, or riding a horse and cart down the Blackwall Tunnel.

It lasted only from December 1973 to April 1974, when it was replaced by a new system: private motor vehicles could only circulate if the last number on their registration plate was odd or even according to the day also being odd or even.

(Of course public transport, EMS, military and diplomatic vehicles where exempt)

Closing a single street to vehicular traffic for a single day is nothing in comparison, but it is still something that I fully support.
Zoe
Tuesday 14 April 2015 9.54pm
I have to add that developers building new blocks shut our roads for years at a time with no consultation. Thames Water et al dig up our streets in the middle of the night and seem amazed we are upset. Southwark council resurfaced The Cut all through the night with no notification and Network Rail carry out minor but loud repairs to their railway stations at 3am. And yes, I could keep going for pages of this, companies have absolutely no consideration of others and no one stops them, it's like the Wild West around here.

Closing the street with weeks notice for a nice event is a pleasant suprise frankly, though I think Catflap is right that they should have done a bit more actual consultation with locals so it didn't come as a suprise. I don't think GSS is a major road though and I went to Skyride last year!
Tuesday 14 April 2015 11.49pm
James, I am suprised that you met the organisers a couple of weeks ago and kept it secret, meaning that people like Karen found out almost by accident, as did catflap.
I would have thought that you would have been asked to advertise the event on this site and gather the opinions of your forum users, and if you were not asked so to do you would have suggested it as a form of consultation and catflap would be less irate.
It does appear to me to be the wrong street on the wrong day, GSS is gloomy, dull and sombre, the complete length of Borough Road would be better and May Day would surely have been a more appopriate day to experiment. I say experiment because the same thing was tried on The Cut a few years back and was such a success/failure it has never been repeated.
As a car owner/driver (hated as we are on this site) who will not really be put out by the event I do, nonetheless, wish it every success and hope all that attend have a marvellous day.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 8.43am
Thebunhouse - I will be writing a news item about it, but have not had time as yet.

I did, however, add the event to the what's on section on 6 April and the listing can be found here:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/16882/open-streets-london

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 9.11am
Sorry James, mea culpa.
I should not have put pen to paper without checking first.
I would still argue that Borough Road is a more appropriate venue, long, straight and wide and easier to oversee. Diversions would be simpler.
Make it May Day and we could even have a maypole and a May Queen. A May Fair, perhaps for the weekend ?
Wednesday 15 April 2015 1.49pm
Does anybody know if the Council are putting any taxpayer's money in to this farce?
I do hope the Open Streets folks enjoyed their "fact-finding" trip to California last year. I believe they needed to find out best practice for closing off streets in London for events. Apparently, you cannot get that type of information from local sources. After all, we only have the Notting Hill carnival, Lord Mayors parade, Regent Street festival, St Patricks parade, etc etc every year.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 3.01pm
Hm, are people being dictated now as to what they are allowed to enjoy or not? Looks like it.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions