London SE1 community website

Open Streets - 30 May 2015

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Wednesday 15 April 2015 5.04pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
I do hope the Open Streets folks enjoyed their "fact-finding" trip to California last year. I believe they needed to find out best practice for closing off streets in London for events.
Why indeed would they go to California? They would've been better off going to Bogotá.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 5.53pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Does anybody know if the Council are putting any taxpayer's money in to this farce?
I do hope the Open Streets folks enjoyed their "fact-finding" trip to California last year.
PoE, you vented your spleen about all this at great length last year on this forum. Please, there's really no need to make the same points all over again, I think we've all got your message.
Wednesday 15 April 2015 8.18pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Does anybody know if the Council are putting any taxpayer's money in to this farce?
I do hope the Open Streets folks enjoyed their "fact-finding" trip to California last year.
PoE, you vented your spleen about all this at great length last year on this forum. Please, there's really no need to make the same points all over again, I think we've all got your message.
It was cancelled last year, it's now reared it's ugly head again. New event, new post. Sorry for venting my spleen Dave. Henceforth, I shall post only when you give me written permission.
Thursday 16 April 2015 12.20am
I have taken the unusual step of removing a number of posts from this thread.

Can I direct you to my post of a couple of days ago, asking people to discuss Open Streets and not trade insults with one another?

If anyone is unable to heed this simple request, they may find their ability to post is switched off.

By all means disagree with each other - but there's no need for such a disagreeable tone to the debate.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 April 2015 12.28am
Peter Davis wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
I do hope the Open Streets folks enjoyed their "fact-finding" trip to California last year. I believe they needed to find out best practice for closing off streets in London for events.
Why indeed would they go to California? They would've been better off going to Bogotá.

The Open Streets National Forum was held in Los Angeles last year (April) and Open Streets London let it be known on their website that they were heading to it. Let's hope they had a jolly good time and no public money was used to fund it.
Zoe
Thursday 16 April 2015 7.58am
Pieces of eight refers to quite a few events that close the roads rather extensively. Why are we getting excited by closing the road for one day?

Also, people can go to California if they want to. It's just not a big deal and nothing to do with closing GSS. But I agree that Bogota would have been a better choice.
Thursday 16 April 2015 4.53pm
Got to say I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to hang out on that stretch of GSS, even if there were no cars.

I walk that stretch once or twice a week. Walking west, once you've left the bank of shops with Ollies and Terry's Café, it's pretty gloomy and uninteresting (apologies Union St Café, and the duelling supermarkets down by the hotel) until you get to the main road and can cross and head to Tate Modern/Bluefin/etc.

I'm all in favour of temporarily closing roads, restricting vehicle access, making people think about the future of transport in London and how viable it is to expect the right to make private car journeys every day in central London, but imho this move will not do that.

I love the idea that Jules mentioned above (and I think they did similar in Paris some years ago) of only allowing certain cars to drive in town on certain days. It's big, it's bold, and it forces us all to think about alternatives.

I remember fondly the recent times when they closed Southwark Bridge and set up food stalls and events on it. If you really want to do something bold, why not shut down all bridges to private transport for a day? Make every other bridge completely pedestrianized, and have events on them. Restrict the remaining bridges to buses and bicycles.

Shutting down the dullest part of a little-used road for a day just seems unambitious and unimaginative and unlikely to change anyone's point of view about anything.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 16 April 2015 7.26pm
the replies here just show how the lack of communicating with people who live here is the problem with this event, they obviously have no knowledge of this area or any empathy for it.
no doubt if any consultation was offered it wasn't mentioned to anyone in the area and happened at 1700 on a week day when most people wouldn't be able to attend anyway...

i'm still reeling that someone can set up a street party on a random street not invite the residents of that street to the party but write a PR blurb telling the rest of the world what an amazing community event it will be...'make it YOUR street', it is my street, ta...only in SE1

maybe they'll barricade us plebs behind our poor doors...
Thursday 16 April 2015 8.50pm
catflap wrote:
i'm still reeling that someone can set up a street party on a random street not invite the residents of that street to the party but write a PR blurb telling the rest of the world what an amazing community event it will be...'make it YOUR street', it is my street, ta...only in SE1
maybe they'll barricade us plebs behind our poor doors...
A road closure for an event like this requires a traffic regulation order from Southwark Council and written permission from the police. Should be easy to check (with the council at least) if an application was made.
Friday 17 April 2015 7.29am
I don't care about the process. I care about the fact that absolutely no one consulted me about the fact there will be restricted vehicular access to my home to make way for this absurd, strangely selfish, event. Don't get me wrong. I am all for the idea of Open Streets, but Great Suffolk Street? What is the point? It's hardly the pulsing heart of anything worthwhile that can spill out and fill all this empty space with anything of interest. If it was The Cut or Borough High Street or Bermondsey Street or wherever I could see the point, but not on Great Suffolk Street.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions