London SE1 community website

Cyclist/pedestrian collision yesterday - Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Friday 24 April 2015 4.14pm
Came across this article with a photo of the cyclist.Hope they catch him.
Hope you are feeling a bit better now Andie Mac.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3054115/Woman-scarred-life-falling-face-knocked-cyclist-riding-pavement.html
Friday 24 April 2015 6.48pm
The sad irony of the cyclist wearing a helmet. Anyway, we know who to keep an eye out for now. All the best, Andie Mac.
Zoe
Friday 24 April 2015 7.17pm
It's a shame it's not a great photo but hopefully he will come forward when he sees it shared widely.

Hope you are feeling better. I got hit by a bus and felt nervous for months afterwards near buses, but it went in the end and hopefully you'll find the same thing. Also, it was impressive how you got the police to release the CCTV, well done!
Monday 27 April 2015 9.04am
I am not surprised by this event. I have seen several near misses/brushes in Clink Street which gets busy with pedestrian tourist traffic. Some of the cyclists objecting to the slow pace try to force their way through. The street should really be a cycling dismount zone like other sections of the Southbank
Zoe
Monday 27 April 2015 8.10pm
It was near the sainsburys on TBR rather than the southbank.
Tuesday 28 April 2015 8.42am
Tweeted this out this am. I hope you're feeling better and on the mend. Hope someone has a fit of good conscience and turns him in.

I've been hit twice in London, both by cyclists. Thankfully, no permanent damage to me, but a near miss for my 86 year old parents crossing at a green man. Seems cyclists only apply road rules when they suit. I become less sympathetic to their cause by the day.

Hope you feel better soon!
Tuesday 28 April 2015 8.58am
megb wrote:
Tweeted this out this am. I hope you're feeling better and on the mend. Hope someone has a fit of good conscience and turns him in.
I've been hit twice in London, both by cyclists. Thankfully, no permanent damage to me, but a near miss for my 86 year old parents crossing at a green man. Seems cyclists only apply road rules when they suit. I become less sympathetic to their cause by the day.

Ok here we go! Megb, thanks for your blanket condemnation of all cyclists. Similarly, I was mugged by a black chap once. Would you agree that all black people should be condemned and told to stop their mugging? A ridiculous statement perhaps? Just like yours.
Zoe
Tuesday 28 April 2015 11.28am
I have been only ever been hit by male drivers while driving and I strongly encourage a limit on men's ability to drive. I feel less and less sympathy every day when I see men being arseholes behind the wheel of a vehicle. All men should be limited to three wheelers and those bizarre Getz cars.

I also note that men commit most crime and this was a man, which confirms my suspicions.

I suspect quite a few women would agree with me!!
Tuesday 28 April 2015 11.57am
johnnytee wrote:
megb wrote:

Ok here we go! Megb, thanks for your blanket condemnation of all cyclists. Similarly, I was mugged by a black chap once. Would you agree that all black people should be condemned and told to stop their mugging? A ridiculous statement perhaps? Just like yours.

Megb drives a car. It was a car driver that killed Diana. Monsters.
Tuesday 28 April 2015 12.31pm
Andie Mac wrote:
Thanks Jan, that's a great idea, thank you for doing that on Facebook. Also, I've now put it on Twitter as well as contacted Simon Hughes MP and the Southwark News. I'm hoping the police will release the CCTV footage of the cyclist. If they have it, it's no good keeping it to themselves.
Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I've heard so many stories of near misses between pedestrians and cyclists now, it's scary. I know that cyclists face a huge amount of danger on the roads too, and I'd never cycle in London because, personally, I think it's too dangerous, but cyclists taking to the pavement isn't the answer either.

Hit and runs by drivers are routine and they kill far more pedestrians on the pavement than bike riders do. It would be nice if the police would take a little trouble over those incidents.

The root causes of this accident were the failure of the relevant authorities to provide safe cycle tracks, and the failure of the police to do anything effective about incompetent drivers who have forced almost all bikes off the road.

By the way, investigations have shown that most pedestrian/cyclist incidents turn out to have been the pedestrian's fault.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions