London SE1 community website

20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 9 November 2015 8.25pm
Yay, another hotel.
Tuesday 10 November 2015 11.46am
Is the council supporting the building of affordable (really meaning unaffordable)/social housing in the outer Hebrides?
Tuesday 10 November 2015 7.09pm
Just had a flyer saying the public exhibitions have been cancelled until further notice. Bit odd.
Thursday 31 March 2016 6.53pm
Have seen that scaffolding has finally started going up for the demolition of Rennie House. This was the old HQ for Sainsbury's if I'm not mistaken and has stood empty for nearly 15 years!

Am I correct in thinking this location will be part of the new two tower development called '20 Blackfriars Road'?
Saturday 30 July 2016 12.44pm
So this morning I was in the area and I struck up a conversation with someone who lives across the street from this site. She said that literally the day after the Brexit vote, all the trucks and workers vanished.

She added that given the visual eyesore that remains (it looks like what I imagine some cities looked like during WWII), she spoke with the local council, but they said there's nothing they can do about it since it's a private project.

Have the Malaysian owners (referenced in the earlier related article) had a change of plans? Is there any news on what's happening here?
Tuesday 2 August 2016 3.25pm
At least part of the holdup is accounted for by the fact that the developers don't have the necessary ecclesiastical consent to knock down the western wall of the churchyard, and remove (for storage) the memorials affixed to it.

A public notice concerning this matter can be found on the noticeboard of Christ Church Southwark facing Blackfriars Road.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 2 August 2016 3.47pm
There seems to be a bit of confusion between the 20 Blackfriars Road site that adjoins the churchyard and the Rennie House site, the latter being the site for the new Hoxton hotel. The 20 Blackfriars site demolition started at least two years ago, when the building immediately next to the churchyard was demolished and has been carried out in a rather piecemeal fashion ever since. The current state of affairs is indeed a dreadful eyesore, but the work didn't stop the day after the vote to leave the EU, it had already stopped, started and stalled again well before that. This end of Blackfriars Road is a disgraceful mess, with local homes being deluged with the dirt and dust from the site that is being whipped up and blown all over the surrounding area. I thought protective sheeting was supposed to be put up round buildings when they under demolition, but the 'cowboys' involved in this project just seem to do what they like, when they like, with no regard for anyone who is affected by it.
Tuesday 2 August 2016 4.19pm
suziq - you're right, but I think you mean Wedge House rather than Rennie House.

(Rennie and Wakefield being the two main buildings on what was previously dubbed 20 Blackfriars Road but which the current owners seem to prefer to call 18 Blackfriars Road, just to make things even more confusing for us all...)

Tuesday 2 August 2016 4.38pm
Thanks James - there was me thinking everyone else was confused and now I'm adding to the confusion! Anyway, it's an awful mess - which I think we can definitely all agree on. Let's just hope it doesn't sit like for years to come. The 240 Blackfriars site sat empty for several years after they'd demolished the previous buildings, but at least it was left part-demolished.
Thursday 18 August 2016 4.03pm
Work has resumed today

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions