London SE1 community website

20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Thursday 27 July 2017 1.22am
Yes it's that building. The architect says that '...it fits in...' with what exactly, or does he need Specsavers? There's loads of really ugly beasts at the other end of Blackfriars Road and Stamford Street, is this really the best British Architects can manage, God help us all! Cllr. David Noakes is right to mention the measly 24% social housing. A lot of the Shard is empty, at 200m no-one can afford to live there even at 80% of the market price! How many more, what happened to the 11,000 homes we're supposed to get? Who are the Council and their partners kidding? Southwark will be swallowed up in empty homes, and the jobs will only last whilst they're being built. This is SOUTHWARK, not the CITY OF SOUTHWARK, SOUTHWARK is only 1/32nd of London or will it become a CITY IN THE AIR? Will it finish above the pollution?

You can also play on the computers till you're peuce but the tall buildings WILL cause wind tunnels between them and tall and much shorter buildings, the wind has to go somewhere! Please don't copy the Strata Tower at E&C, it's pointing the wrong way to be useful, has anyone seen it in full operation?

Oh well, onward and upward,
Stephanie
Thursday 27 July 2017 10.41am
It really is devastatingly ugly. I've looked at the drawings on Black Pearl's own brochures and can't get over how inelegant it looks. The upper third of the building bothers me most.

I wonder what effect it'll have on prices for the south-facing flats in 1 Blackfriars... the image on this site shows how close they'll be http://londonist.com/london/news/huge-new-jenga-tower-for-blackfriars-bridge-area#disqus_thread.

The rest of the development looks alright to me, for what it is.
Tuesday 12 February 2019 10.11pm
Signs of life with this scheme: they're applying to discharge some of the pre-commencement conditions with the council.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 December 2019 1.56pm
Latest: https://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/10060

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 December 2019 4.37pm
Interesting. Unlikely but I hope the new owners will re-think that atrocious design.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions