London SE1 community website

Simon Hughes defeat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Friday 8 May 2015 10.11am
Very well said, Zoe. My support for Simon wasn't in some blinded support for the Lib Dems as a whole but based on help and support my family - and many, many others - have received from him. I hope Neil does make good on his promises. Having met him before his election campaign proper begun, he does seem a decent enough guy, but he has some very, very big shoes to fill - Simon was an amazing constituency MP and has served this community amazingly well.
Friday 8 May 2015 10.21am
I do not appreciate Neil Coyle's campaigners knocking on my door at 9.30pm last night checking to see if I had voted for him. How bloody rude and none of their business who I voted for.
Friday 8 May 2015 10.43am
Pops wrote:
I do not appreciate Neil Coyle's campaigners knocking on my door at 9.30pm last night checking to see if I had voted for him. How bloody rude and none of their business who I voted for.

far too zealous, no point calling after 2100 anyway ...
Friday 8 May 2015 2.04pm
How awful to be mean to a man who has served his constituents well over the last 32 years. Whatever your politics, you cannot deny him this. I am nobody special and I have spoken to him personally on seven or eight occasions; I'm sure there are many people who wouldn't even recognise their MP if they walked past them in the street. I remember being at a meeting once that he attended and at the end of the meeting he jumped on a bus on the Old Kent Road back to the House of Commons; not at all as he has been described here. I feel very sad for him today and I hope that Cameron let's him continue with his work as 'Justice Minister' in some capacity or other. I look forward to seeing how Neil Coyle approaches this role.
Friday 8 May 2015 3.37pm
Say what you like, but I think that Simon Hughes has at least given a sense of stability and has been a very visible and approachable, hard working local MP. I disagree with his voting record in Parliament and would have found it difficult not to vote for him had his party not allowed the Conservatives into power the last time round. I believe that we face very tough times ahead. Good luck, Neil
Friday 8 May 2015 4.48pm
Like Karen I,I too feel very sad for Simon today. He has worked hard for us, and has always responded whenever we have asked for his help. We may not agree with everything he says or does, but surely that is what democracy is all about.
I too think we face "very tough times ahead"
Friday 8 May 2015 5.37pm
He voted on issues that caused Southwark residents hardship. Visibility counts for zero if you don't have any principles towards your constituents. He lasted one term in any position of power. No pity. That's politics. And Simon knows it's a dirty game, that's how he got into the job in the first place.
Friday 8 May 2015 5.57pm
I moved to the area in 2008/2009.

I wrote to Simon Hughes three times and his counsellors since ive lived inthe area - no response, nothing
I saw him turn his back on students - and do nothing
I saw him take the cowards way out on equal marriage

When did i see him?

last week outside the tube
At the opening of an envelope
when the cameras rolled

have the streets been improved for cyclists since Ellie's death? Why do we have more food banks?

He had the chance to make a change - He did NOTHING

BYE BYE, Good riddance
Friday 8 May 2015 6.00pm
BTW - I would love to hear the positive SH stories. On Kate Hooey I have heaps....
Friday 8 May 2015 6.19pm
I think the key, as someone has already stated, that he was a left wing politician, in a left wing area, yet once he was in a position of power he voted for the far from left policies of the conservatives (eg, failing to support equal marriage). He was a good visible public figure, but a poor representation of one of the youngest, liberal constituencies.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions