London SE1 community website

Simon Hughes defeat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Friday 8 May 2015 6.58pm
Julia7239 wrote:
I saw him turn his back on students - and do nothing

There may be plenty of things for which people can criticise Simon Hughes for, this is not one.

Labour introduced tuition fees and commissioned the report which eventually lead to them being increased. While the Libdems had to compromise on issues the student fees was never a huge issue, illustrated by the few seats they gained nationally. Also by a minority conservative government being returned with a majority.

But also while the conservatives said nothing while Labour tried to convince young people it ended their hopes for going to university it was Simon Hughes who went up and down the country to explain the new loans and what they meant, more money in their pockets before they started paying back and any debt being written off after 30 years.

My daughter was lucky to get to university but got within days of facing having to give it up because of delays in payments by student finance. All I know is in desperation we turned to Simon for help and the payment was made within a couple of weeks speaking to him.

So I don't accept that he turned his back on students and did nothing.
Friday 8 May 2015 8.41pm
Abstaining to vote on capping fees means people like me who grew up on a south London council estate and went to ucl can no longer afford to do that. He screwed us and the bedroom tax. He helped block social mobility. The Tories are going to keep it that way.

I'm all ears to hear some positive stories. Please tell me. Until then.... Cheerio Simon
Friday 8 May 2015 9.20pm
in my personal experience he helped me - but I do agree with some points made here and the Lib Dems did not do what they said they would re the coalition and did not stand up to the torys. So thank-you Simon for your hard work but I think it is time for a new broom.
'politicians like nappies need to be changed regular'
Good luck and happiness to you Simon.
Friday 8 May 2015 9.34pm
The first time I met Simon Hughes was at Aylwin School shortly after he became MP. The ILEA wanted to merge the school with Scott Lidgett - a boys school down the road. Simon sat in the staff room for ages talking to staff and listening to their concerns. He helped us fight the merger. He's also attended several of our TRA meetings to support us on a variety of issues. I'm sure there will be other positive stories about how he has supported individuals, and I'm sure there will be negative stories. He may have let people down on one or two issues in the last five years, but I feel let down by our new Labour MP who has consistently voted in favour of planning applications that don't have affordable housing. I wait to see what kind of MP he will become, I have already heard of how well he has supported individuals as a Councillor.
Friday 8 May 2015 10.10pm
He might have helped individuals as a fixer. But voting on issues in the national parliament affects many more people than he could ever cross hands with or pull some strings for. If he had a defendable record, he might have included more of it in his election junk mail but all he could blast on about over and over was about ed Miliband. But he didn't, so he couldn't. And the electorate knew that. So now he's gone. And probably won't be back. No shame.
Friday 8 May 2015 10.37pm
Julia7239 wrote:
I moved to the area in 2008/2009.
I wrote to Simon Hughes three times and his counsellors since ive lived inthe area - no response, nothing
I saw him turn his back on students - and do nothing
I saw him take the cowards way out on equal marriage

When did i see him?

last week outside the tube
At the opening of an envelope
when the cameras rolled

have the streets been improved for cyclists since Ellie's death? Why do we have more food banks?

He had the chance to make a change - He did NOTHING

BYE BYE, Good riddance

It must be you as I always got an answer from Simon and have had excellent timely service from my LibDem councillors. Food banks, cycling? Is that the best you can do in the face of the reality that Labour left this country broke and on the edge of bankruptcy? I feel sorry for the LibDems they have been punished for doing the right thing... Which was to support a government that had to undo the economic disaster that was Labour.
Friday 8 May 2015 10.38pm
Julia7239, it didn't stop my daughter despite growing up on south London council estate, going to schools which were either in special measures or about to go into special measures and whose parents were unemployed for nearly a decade. So these conditions does not automatically stop them.
Saturday 9 May 2015 12.03am
Simon Hughes may have tackled minor issues for constituents who considered the issues to be important, that is what MPs do and however many that may be it does not excuse his record in supporting a right wing Tory government through thick and thin.
The damage that he has helped them do may never be undone especially the desruction of the NHS with the privatisation and Americanisation of it and the threat of TTIP to it.
The bedroom tax. Abandonment of EMA. Students loans (instead of increasing them they should have rescinded the Labour legistlation which imposed them in the first place).
And the fact that he tried desperately to hide the Civil Service report that showed the damage the Tories' NHS bill would do showed how guilty he is of conspiring with his right wing mates against those who depend upon the NHS for their health care
Saturday 9 May 2015 12.09am
Simon Hughes was very supportive of his constituents on the Draper Estate: it is a real shame to see him driven out of Westminster.

I hope that this time Neil Coyle MP will also offer our residents the same level of support.

This will be particularly needed now that we have a Tory majority government that is likely to cut back on financing local authorities, to stick with the bedroom tax, and generally make life harder for those living in social housing.

Don't even get me started on the NHS...
Sunday 10 May 2015 11.41am
I have known Simon since 1983 when Bob Mellish was Labour Mp. Sentiment commands sadness on this sort of issue but people voted with their heads as probably Simon voted with the Conservatives in government. The late Hilary Wines ex councillor and ex mayor was so conscientious in this ward all issues were investigated by her big and small and she would have been incandescent with outrage to observe how her colleagues councillors as well as Simon had lost the plot. I had avoid and didn't reply to my emails
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions