London SE1 community website

Simon Hughes defeat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Monday 11 May 2015 1.59pm
It was a foregone conclusion that the Lib Dems would get hammered for enabling the coalition. Simon Hughes was approached by people who were concerned about the Work Capability Assessment while it was still being administered by ATOS. He said he would write to people within a few weeks. Years later we are still waiting for that letter. He may have helped some individuals as a constituency MP, but he failed many more by siding with the Tories. I'm glad he is gone......
Monday 11 May 2015 5.45pm
I find this sinister and deeply troubling.
Lady Williams quoted in today's Guardian says

"There was a decapitation strategy on the Conservative side, and then also on Labour’s side, like for example the extraordinary targeting of Simon Hughes, long-standing and much beloved member of Parliament for Bermondsey. So I think what one’s looking at is not just the normal swings and balances of politics. I think we’re looking at something much worse, which is what I’ve seen in the United States as a Harvard professor on the subject, namely the selling of democracy.

The sums that were poured into this election exceed by a very long mark any of the amounts spent in recent elections, a huge mistake when you put in for a fixed-term parliament and did not put in for a much longer period of regulated finance. It simply floods out most of the earlier expenditure on elections since, I would say, right back to Attlee’s time. And it does have an impact"
Monday 11 May 2015 6.42pm
Incoherent nonsense from Williams, there. How is any party wanting to win in a given seat, especially a marginal where it knows it has a chance, guilty of 'extraordinary targeting'. It would be remiss if it didn't do as much as legally possible to win the seat.

More than a few people have written about the Hughes loss and the succinct version is it was a judgment on his craven attitude once in government and not on his 32 years as a constituency MP. I happily voted for him twice but once in government he was anything but liberal. Not once but twice not doing anything to vote down the bedroom tax - something which has an acute influence in this area. Not publishing the NHS risk register and his frankly bizarre reasons for voting against gay marriage. Those are not the views of somebody I would vote for if they had been known beforehand.

So, with a sense of the 'least worst option', I voted for Neil Coyle. I hope he does as good a job as Mr Hughes did in his prime.

At least Labour saw sense and didn't have the oleaginous Blairite council leader as their candidate. Things would have been a lot closer in that case and a lot more votes would have headed to the Green candidate, I'd wager.
Zoe
Monday 11 May 2015 9.44pm
Most of the £88K is for closing down their office. Simon Hughes had several employees, so he may find he needs all of the £57k and more to cover the costs. £33k is good, but anyone made redundant will know it doesn't last long. I believe Simon Hughes will get a pension, so doesn't need to go find himself a job, but I can understand the intense change in their life will have a major affect on ex-MP's.

Lady Williams' comments are just bizarre. She appears to be suggesting that politics shouldn't come into parliament. Labour didn't buy votes in BOS. They campaigned for them. This is not like America where hundreds of millions of dollars are spent.
Tuesday 12 May 2015 9.02pm
Why is it that in blogs like this some people write about others in ways I cannot imagine they would speak face to face? In the case of politics is it because they think they are helping the party they support by spewing bile about their rivals or are they just not very nice people?

In this thread I commend Zoe. She makes it clear that she is a Labour supporter but gives Simon credit for the superb constituency work he has done. Neil Coyle said the same thing in his victory speech. For those who try to allege otherwise let them answer this - how on earth did this man hold his seat for 32 years against Labour in a constituency like this? Only the controversial Lib Dem involvement in the coalition has felled him. Thank you Simon for all you've done.
Tuesday 12 May 2015 10.45pm
denis loretto wrote:
For those who try to allege otherwise let them answer this - how on earth did this man hold his seat for 32 years against Labour in a constituency like this? Only the controversial Lib Dem involvement in the coalition has felled him. Thank you Simon for all you've done.

Agreed
Wednesday 13 May 2015 11.05am
Zoe wrote:
Lady Williams' comments are just bizarre. She appears to be suggesting that politics shouldn't come into parliament. Labour didn't buy votes in BOS. They campaigned for them. This is not like America where hundreds of millions of dollars are spent.
I didn't see them as bizarre. My reading of them is that she was making the point that Labour targeted campaign resources specifically in key/marginal seats.

I thought she was trying to say that in those seats Labour had won (at least in part) because they had sufficient funding to saturate them with pro-Lab publicity and/or activists getting people out to the polling stations.

If that was in fact what she was saying, then I think it's logical...although my experience in our area was that I got a lot more publicity material from the Lib's than the Lab's, so my experience wouldn't bear out her comments.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 13 May 2015 11.27am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Zoe wrote:
I didn't see them as bizarre. My reading of them is that she was making the point that Labour targeted campaign resources specifically in key/marginal seats.

I thought she was trying to say that in those seats Labour had won (at least in part) because they had sufficient funding to saturate them with pro-Lab publicity and/or activists getting people out to the polling stations.

If that was in fact what she was saying, then I think it's logical...although my experience in our area was that I got a lot more publicity material from the Lib's than the Lab's, so my experience wouldn't bear out her comments.

Ironically that's what the Libdems have been accused of, once they have secured a seat, they throw resources at it in order to keep it.
Thursday 14 May 2015 5.12pm
How terrible we now have Labour, Hopefully someone else will get in next time here.
Thursday 14 May 2015 6.47pm
An interesting piece in today's Southwark News which raises the question of how Mr Coyle can properly represent Southwark when he is potentially stymied by his role as councillor and also the local Labour whip. Indeed the esteemed editors of the News opine that in their view he cannot properly undertake both roles. I also understand that Helen Hayes has also declared her intention to serve simultaneously as MP and councillor. It is to their credit that they have both declared that they will not accept their councillor allowances, but it raises the question of whether they should allow their ward constituents to decide rather than half-heartedly occupying seats on the council.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions