London SE1 community website

Simon Hughes defeat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Thursday 14 May 2015 7.08pm
Coyle states in Southwark News that he intends to "work with the Council"

Make of that what you will.

How can he represent residents views if the views differ from those of the Council, I wonder, especially if the views differ from those of developers and the Council?
Friday 15 May 2015 12.30am
JazzyQ wrote:
How can he represent residents views if the views differ from those of the Council, I wonder, especially if the views differ from those of developers and the Council?
Much like he 'represented' residents before (clue: he didn't)
Friday 15 May 2015 8.02am
So, pros, do we simply give up hope on political representation, or is there a solution? I am not just asking you, of course.
Friday 15 May 2015 8.09am
Doesn't the same apply to Boris Johnson? I know he is standing down as Mayor but is still holding two roles concurrently until next May.
Friday 15 May 2015 9.22am
I'd say the same definitely does apply to Boris.

In addition, one or other of his simultaneous roles is surely going to suffer. That applies equally to Mr Coyle and Ms Hayes. If they are needed on parliamentary business and that clashes with council business, which will they choose to prioritise?

On a separate note, I notice that our new MP's high profile office on Tower Bridge Road is now closed and the Labour signage has been removed...
Friday 15 May 2015 11.32am
At least Boris has taken two-thirds pay cut of his mayoral salary.
Friday 15 May 2015 12.08pm
Zoe wrote:
It exists, but it's a place of dark swamps and trolls under bridges. It's best we don't speak of it as we risk evil miasma and dark magic.

also, there be dragons ...
Friday 15 May 2015 12.21pm
denis loretto wrote:
For those who try to allege otherwise let them answer this - how on earth did this man hold his seat for 32 years against Labour in a constituency like this? Only the controversial Lib Dem involvement in the coalition has felled him.

how?

he lied, and lied, and lied!

take the disgraceful leaflet blaming Labour delivered on the eve of polling. no mention of the condem councillors who failed from 2002-2010 to do anything but sell housing stock and enter into fatuous 'affordable housing' sweetheart deals with developers. there were many other postings in the past 32 years with equally deceptive content.

mr hughes promised much for 27 years but delivered little outside government. when he was in the position to do something 2010-2015, he was found wanting ...
Zoe
Friday 15 May 2015 5.01pm
Excellent point about the dragons. My mother has always refused to go abroad as she says that for all she knows it might not exist and there's just dragons living there. I have never managed to refute this point.
Friday 15 May 2015 9.09pm
Peter Davis.
You do realise that there is only one constituency in Southwark with the name Southwark in its description. Oh, and it does have Bermondsey in its title too.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions