London SE1 community website

Tesco The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Thursday 16 July 2015 10.10am
As somebody else not looking forward to the impending Tesco disaster in Queen Elizabeth Street, I'd heartily suggest emailing those images to Hamish McCallum. You may even be on his mailing list, as I am, where he talks about continuing the fight against them.

The email on his mailouts is firstname dot surname at southwark dot gov dot uk.
Thursday 16 July 2015 10.39am
Hi Exigo - to make my position clear, I am actually in favor of the new Tesco on QES - but find the arrogant Tesco footpath blockage a nuisance. Clearly, the council turns a blind eye, but you can be sure small business deliveries would not be tolerated in this fashion. That's how large corporation's and local govt seem to work.
Thursday 16 July 2015 12.20pm
Thanks Boss St Bloke. Equally, I'm not anti them per se and I have no objection to the principle of a supermarket taking over that space, particularly as there's been a similar sized one opposite for as long as I've lived there.

But, my view is that their plans for delivery routes, times and practicalities are laughable. I imagine they got planning permission for The Cut with similar fairy tales.
Thursday 16 July 2015 2.57pm
I rarely venture into this Tesco, even though I both live and work nearby. I find it dirty, and poorly managed. The best supermarkets nearby are M and S in Southwark Street; good bargains at the end of the day! And Sainsburys in Blackfriars Road, next to Pret. The staff in there are very helpful.
Thursday 20 August 2015 10.54pm

Today as every day at 08:30 during maximum pedestrian traffic, the Tesco lorry and wheelie cages block the pavement.

But hold on a second!! - because white van man can't park where Tesco truck is it does better stupid and parks on the pavement too!. See those big wooden things in front of the lady? - those were moving obstacles as well as the Tesco wheelie cages.

I watched a fella in a wheelchair negotiating this shambles.

The Sainsbury's 30 seconds away *never* blocks the pavement and they face the same delivery conundrum. I now shop there, even though they are more expensive.
Thursday 20 August 2015 11.26pm
The people in the flats must be really suffering at the moment, they have the building noise from Southwark College and noisy morning deliveries.
Friday 21 August 2015 9.11am
Tesco Tooley Street is a dream to shop in - always friendly staff, very clean and tidy and a good range of products. Ditto Old Kent Road Tesco.

Coming away from food shopping, both Ryman in Borough High Street and Lower Marsh are outstanding for customer service and product knowledge.

Holland & Barrett Borough High Street are also very welcoming and go out of their way to find what I'm looking for.
Friday 21 August 2015 12.21pm
These mini places are driving me nuts! they only cater to office workers, miles and miles of sandwiches and pre cooked pasta!. especially in this tesco their fresh Meat/Fish section is a joke! might as well not have one at all!

All the sainsbury's stock Thai ingredients, (lloyd grossman green curry/ own brand sauces etc.. i make my own so don't really pay attention) but ask them for some thai sticky rice or fragrant rice and wait for the answer. I went in both Blackfriars road and on the Cut. asked why they stock everything else apart from the rice... BOTH attendants in 2 separate shops said "there is no such thing as thai sticky rice, you just overcook normal rice" What?! is this the standard response set by regional managers or something?

it seems trivial but when your walking to 6 separate shops to gather 1 meal it becomes soul destroying! convenience my backside!

The most stocked shop around here has to be the co-op i think down by ollies fish shop. I can at least walk out of there without having to hunt down extra ingredients!
Friday 21 August 2015 6.24pm
We seem to have lost the sandwich shop as it was there next to the pub. Probably thanks to Tesco as well. There is a planning application to change the shopfront to sell fast food or something.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions