London SE1 community website

Digging out Basements in Ufford St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Sunday 20 September 2015 11.06am
This proposal for 7 Ufford Street is truly an absolute ridiculous application and has absolutely nothing to do with Family housing needs. As Rev David Pape has said , the basement dig out is purely for commercial purposes by a professional artist. There are lots of studios available especially those new one being modernised just 200 yards away from Ufford Street in Joan Street.I fully understand what Karen is saying, if and hopefully it will not happen they get planning permission , it could easily be used as a bedroom.
The fact that Lambeth who are in the same Flood Zone 3 as Westminster do not have a policy on Basements is crazy. This whole business stinks
Sunday 20 September 2015 3.58pm
Thank you OHRA.

While, I'm at it, it might interest you all to know that the applicant lives in a 4 bedroom, 2 reception room, 2 bathroom house, valued at a little under 1.4m, not much more than than a mile away from the site of the planning application. So much for concern for family accommodation! Don't make my laugh!
Sunday 20 September 2015 10.48pm
Rev Pape, I am only assuming that the applicant really wants to use the basement as a bedroom and not an art studio. Maybe she thinks it will be easier to get planning permission; I don't know. Could it be a council tax evasion? I don't live in Ufford Street, but I would be very worried about digging out the foundation of a terrace house that is sitting on old marsh land. She might be able to make her new basement waterproof, but could it increase the risk of 'pooling' at the neighbouring premises? I also would be worried about the two neighbours who will endure months of really loud work because the whole interior is being torn out and re-modeled.
Monday 21 September 2015 2.12pm
Karen, thank you for clarifying your position. I just wanted to make it clear that the application made and the architect's drawing show clearly that a major part of the planned development shows it as an 'artist's studio' and no bedroom area whatsoever.
I'm grateful for your concern about building and construction proposals and there impact on both neighbouring houses and occupants. If permission is granted, the applicant can sit back in relative peace for the next 2 year, whilst disturbing the peace of a whole community, as there will be dust, dirt, noise and danger (as well as the potential risk of 'flooding' there will be a need for heavy vehicle to remove debris and risks to children using the playgound across the road).
The granting of an application would also set a precedent for other private owners along the whole of the street, so this matter impacts on the wider community and other such proposals could result in Ufford Street becoming a long-term building site. That is why the WHOLE community should object to the proposal.
As a Minister at St Andrew's, Short Street (at the junction with Ufford Street) I am passionate about protecting the local community from over-development and exploitation. I also declare that I have a long friendship with the residents in one of the affected neighbouring cottages, so apologies if I 'rant on' but this is about protecting a beautiful and friendly neighbourhood. Regards, David.
Monday 21 September 2015 3.28pm
Rev David Pape wrote:
Thank you OHRA.
While, I'm at it, it might interest you all to know that the applicant lives in a 4 bedroom, 2 reception room, 2 bathroom house, valued at a little under 1.4m, not much more than than a mile away from the site of the planning application. So much for concern for family accommodation! Don't make my laugh!

Nice to know you've been stalking them.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 21 September 2015 4.15pm
Stalking ?
Monday 21 September 2015 5.11pm
I don't know. What would you call it if someone took an interest in you to the extent that they found out your address, the number and type of rooms in your house, and the amount it's allegedly worth?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 21 September 2015 5.21pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
...they found out your address, the number and type of rooms in your house, and the amount it's allegedly worth?

The applicant's name and address would be freely available from the planning application. Mr Google could quite feasibly tell you everything else.
Monday 21 September 2015 5.36pm
Cyber stalking?
Tuesday 22 September 2015 12.19am
Rev Pape, the plans clearly show the basement will be used as an art studio but I'm pretty sure that there is a bathroom on the plans. Why would an art studio in a house need it's own bathroom? I think the intention is to use this as a fourth bedroom, and, a basement with limited natural lighting is hardly suitable for an art studio.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions