London SE1 community website

Foxtons is upon us...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
Saturday 6 June 2015 10.19pm
Jules62 I totally agree with you 100%. Well done to the Walworth society for organising this and helping to preserve some of history and character for the area.

Drog I don't the cash to buy the place but we have the right to express our opinion and have a say about what happens in our community whether you like it or not.

And yes I've been in that pub on many oocasions and not had any problems
Sunday 7 June 2015 9.28am
Easy pub to have a go at, if you asked who goes in the Ring or the Trinity arms you would probably get a blank response on here, these are not your "locals" kind of pubs.

Is it a trend now that the police will shut a pub after an incident? Like it's the managements fault if someone stabs someone else with a pen. Has there been more grief from the E&C pub than from the MoS?
Sunday 7 June 2015 1.44pm
I would say though, it's a great plot for a restaurant, can't we rename the Weatherspoons as the Elephant and Castle pub?
Sunday 7 June 2015 2.11pm
I live right above this pub (my trees wave above it) ad I'd love it to be an attractive venue. Goodness knows it's a prime location. Wetherspoons and Nandos are right alongside so it would need to be a bit special. But FOXTONS? Please...
Sunday 7 June 2015 9.49pm
Really interesting to read this thread. I very much hope that the Walworth Society will succeed in its application to register the pub as an asset of community value. As a relatively new councillor, I'm keen to think not only about the heritage (and recent past) but also the potential of the site as a community hub. If you've got any thoughts on this please do email me: [email protected]

Cllr Helen Dennis (Chaucer Ward)
Tuesday 9 June 2015 4.43pm
It is time for a change. E&C needs a serious regeneration and that comes with deep change, including new/additional people, new ideas, investors and businesses.

It is incredible how people are adverse to change whatever the change is. The least I can say is that E&C has not been a great place to live and has been a big failure as an urban project. I do not particularly like Foxtons, but if they come to the area, it is kind of good news as it means that E&C is becoming attractive, including to a younger active crowd that needs to find a central London location to live and prosper.

Like it or not this will happen with or without you. Trying to preserve an old pub location is just a hopeless attempt to resist the inevitable transformation ahead.
Tuesday 9 June 2015 6.21pm
I can understand why people don't want Foxtons in the area but let's not pretend that the Elephant and Castle pub is some kind of cultural mecca when in reality it's just a grimy pub that is in dire need of a facelift!

I was reading the Evening Standard last night, and it described the pub as the "home" of UK garage music. I think there is some serious exaggeration going on there!
Tuesday 9 June 2015 6.42pm
Matt "Jam" Lamont is widely credited as developing the "UK Garage" sound and says in an article in Mixmag (here) that that was the venue where he first played UKG as it became known.

Yes, it is a pub that is in dire need of a facelift but it should be retained as a refurbished and well-run public house.
Tuesday 9 June 2015 7.38pm
Foxtons just featured on Channel Four News for charging hidden fees.
http://www.channel4.com/news/foxtons-faces-legal-claim-over-law-lecturers-repair-bill
Tuesday 9 June 2015 8.02pm
BoroughResident wrote:
It is time for a change. E&C needs a serious regeneration and that comes with deep change, including new/additional people, new ideas, investors and businesses.
It is incredible how people are adverse to change whatever the change is. The least I can say is that E&C has not been a great place to live and has been a big failure as an urban project. I do not particularly like Foxtons, but if they come to the area, it is kind of good news as it means that E&C is becoming attractive, including to a younger active crowd that needs to find a central London location to live and prosper.

Like it or not this will happen with or without you. Trying to preserve an old pub location is just a hopeless attempt to resist the inevitable transformation ahead.

Marvellous! Cheers for that. Presumably you must think that the whole of working class London was a big failure, never mind, we'll all be gone soon.

I agree though, I find it a bit rich (scuse the pun)of Southwark council to object to a Foxtons when they have provided the perfect conditions for the urban Foxton to flourish.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions