London SE1 community website

Foxtons is upon us...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Wednesday 10 June 2015 12.50pm
Thank you, Jules62, for those sensible and measured thoughts.

Please can we avoid namecalling?

Though I would also say to BoroughResident that denigrating the places that a lot of people call 'home' - however superficially run-down and flawed - is never a good way to win friends and influence people.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 10 June 2015 3.16pm
BoroughResident wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
BoroughResident wrote:
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Boroughresident I dispute every word of what you say. No one disagrees that the regeneration is due. No one is averse to change. And we who have lived here for years think it was, is, and will be a GREAT place to live. So you really are full of nonsense. But keeping an establishment called The Elephant and Castle is part of our history and not to be dumped in the name of progress, or in this case in the name of Foxtons. Frankly you sound like a pretentious git.

I see no problem in disputing what I say, but I do not think you put yourself in glory by insulting someone with a different opinion. A "great place to live" does not need a major regeneration... I have been living around E&C for 8 years and I know a number of persons living there. None of them seem to share your "great place to live" view.

But you accuse those with genuine concerns about new developments as being against change (on two separate threads), that doesn't do your point of view any favours either.
No one denies that the E&C needs regeneration, but to say that it was never a nice place to live is both unqualified ( after only 8 years) and insulting.

It feels like snobbery to me, a form of discrimination that has yet to be checked.

Wow. A form of discrimination (!). This is going too far. Discrminating who or what: a horrible concrete post-war rebuilding project giving priority to cars and a major car transportation junction. I do not think I have directed any of my comments to any body who have chosen or not to live at E&C.

A lot of hatred in this forum. Boroughonian, Jackie, good luck with your battles and certainties. I think I have nothing to add after this as a snobbish and pretentious git.

To suggest that the E&C has never been a nice place to live can only be snobbery, you can't know that because you have only lived there for 8 years, I can only imagine that you invisage, correctly, a community of social projects, so therefore couldn't possibly have been "nice".

By the way, it was wonderful and I would put my childhood memories up against yours any day of the week.
Wednesday 10 June 2015 3.42pm
Me too. And I'm proud that no amount of raised eyebrows or snide comments have ever made me ashamed of living in the Elephant and Castle. I can now enjoy the comments of "weren't you clever". But as I said before, we're discussing the E&C Pub/restaurant/dive whatever...and I really think SOMEWHERE needs to have the name. And since the present site has been there for quite long enough, and is definitely in a prime location, I'm for keeping it there in one form or another. Once the shopping centre goes (sad, but that's my personal view) we'll have nothing left of the E&C we knew.
Thursday 18 June 2015 12.26pm
drog wrote:
PROS have you ever visited or been a regular at this bar? Whats your motive? sometimes you've just got to move on...

I've been in there once or twice. Which is more than I ever will have been in a Foxton's. I find estate agents a hugely depressing sight. Unfortunately, for obvious reasons it appears to be part of their strategy to move into eye-catching buildings.
Thursday 18 June 2015 3.24pm
From the SE1 article: 'There has been a pub called the Elephant & Castle close to the current site since at least 1765'.

The squatter's message on the current E&C pub building claiming it's 250 years old is just a bit disingenuous, don't you think? Perhaps they didn't read that, but even I can see that Goldfinger's building is a little more recent than that.
Thursday 18 June 2015 3.56pm
janefs wrote:
From the SE1 article: 'There has been a pub called the Elephant & Castle close to the current site since at least 1765'.
The squatter's message on the current E&C pub building claiming it's 250 years old is just a bit disingenuous, don't you think? Perhaps they didn't read that, but even I can see that Goldfinger's building is a little more recent than that.
I have no Blur song for that, but Blur did play at the Coronet once...
Thursday 18 June 2015 10.44pm
janefs wrote:

No one is claiming that the current Elephant & Castle public house is 250 years old: the fact is that there has been a pub/coaching inn there or in in the immediate vicinity for centuries, and this is how the area got its name.

I have said it here before: the latest incarnation of this venerable pub was a dive, and a dangerous one at that.

If Foxtons can be kept out, and a safer and better public house be allowed to take over the premises, all of us E&C (be they new or long time) residents stand to gain.

I'm sure the Foxy estate agents will be able to find and secure an alternative location: that's what they do, isn't it...?
Thursday 18 June 2015 10.55pm
Agreed that I'd rather a great pub than and estate agent, but I'd rather an estate agent than a dive pub. One of the signs I saw posted by the squatters however, was about how it was a working class area. I'm not sure how well 'squatters' represent the 'working' class.
Thursday 18 June 2015 11.00pm
barrierdickson wrote:
Agreed that I'd rather a great pub than and estate agent,
Agree

barrierdickson wrote:
but I'd rather an estate agent than a dive pub.
Disagree. In my opinion, an estate agent's ranks much lower than a dive pub.

barrierdickson wrote:
One of the signs I saw posted by the squatters however, was about how it was a working class area. I'm not sure how well 'squatters' represent the 'working' class.
Agree
Friday 19 June 2015 6.01am
It's bizarre that despite its prime location the Elephant and Castle pub has always failed to thrive. Weatherspoons/Rockingam Arms is heaving with people around the clock and it's downstairs in our building too, just on the opposite corner. While the road works are going on I dare say it won't be a particularly good place to frolic, I don't see why it can't be a decent restaurant or, since we in the E&C are supposedly getting so posh and up market, a more than decent watering hole.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions