London SE1 community website

Foxtons is upon us...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
Friday 19 June 2015 10.50am
Never a dive pub, never in a million years.

Dive pubs were in side streets, not main roads with major transport links.

There's the rub for me, it was always a pub with a passing trade, I never got the impression that there was a local/regular trade.
Similar to the Trinity (Formerly the Hole in the wall)next to Borough tube, but the area is now booming and so is the pub, it never used to be.
Friday 19 June 2015 12.57pm
Jules62 wrote:
janefs wrote:
From the SE1 article: 'There has been a pub called the Elephant & Castle close to the current site since at least 1765'.
The squatter's message on the current E&C pub building claiming it's 250 years old is just a bit disingenuous, don't you think? Perhaps they didn't read that, but even I can see that Goldfinger's building is a little more recent than that.
No one is claiming that the current Elephant & Castle public house is 250 years old: the fact is that there has been a pub/coaching inn there or in in the immediate vicinity for centuries, and this is how the area got its name.

Obvs, I should have drawn a picture of my tongue firmly in cheek.

Re Jackie's comment about Weatherspoons, their purchasing / pricing strategy enables them to offer such relatively low cost drink and food, it's not a surprise the place is consistently busy, open from 08:00, offering breakfast, 11-ses, lunch, mid-afternoon tea, dinner & drinking all in one huge space. The E&C would not be able to compete directly with them and survive, it would need to be pretty special / unique to attract enough trade.
Friday 19 June 2015 4.49pm
janefs wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
janefs wrote:
From the SE1 article: 'There has been a pub called the Elephant & Castle close to the current site since at least 1765'.
The squatter's message on the current E&C pub building claiming it's 250 years old is just a bit disingenuous, don't you think? Perhaps they didn't read that, but even I can see that Goldfinger's building is a little more recent than that.
No one is claiming that the current Elephant & Castle public house is 250 years old: the fact is that there has been a pub/coaching inn there or in in the immediate vicinity for centuries, and this is how the area got its name.

Obvs, I should have drawn a picture of my tongue firmly in cheek.

Re Jackie's comment about Weatherspoons, their purchasing / pricing strategy enables them to offer such relatively low cost drink and food, it's not a surprise the place is consistently busy, open from 08:00, offering breakfast, 11-ses, lunch, mid-afternoon tea, dinner & drinking all in one huge space. The E&C would not be able to compete directly with them and survive, it would need to be pretty special / unique to attract enough trade.

You make some very good points: I too noticed how the nearby Wetherspoon pub (The Rockingham Arms, also located in the Metro Central Hights complex) is thriving.

The E&C pub was a dive because it was badly managed by people with little interest in heritage or marketing. And their so called 'Argentinian Grill' was a joke.

If it were my own business, I would play up the recent history of the place, maximize the Goldfinger connection and some of the areas cool people, such as Sir Michael Caine.

I would give it a 60s theme to appeal to the new residents soon to arrive at the Elephant and to best fit in with the architecture of the building: no point going on and on about 'ye olde' if the premises are located in a 1960s building.

Wetherspoon offers amazing value (such as a bottle of prosecco for 9.99), so there is no point of even entertaining the idea of competing with them in terms of value, but if the right Balance between old and new can be achieved by a new E&C pub, I am sure it will successfully gather trade from the area's new arrivals at One The Elephant and the former Heygate estate.

After all, these are the people whom Foxtons wants to do business with.
Friday 19 June 2015 10.17pm
Can we please just have a Little Waitrose there.
Tuesday 23 June 2015 9.21pm
Hi All,

Today I visited this pub and met with the occupants.

I wanted to see for myself who they are and what are their aims.

They strike me as a friendly, generous, and creative lot.

I arrived just after 7 pm, to find that they are operating a free kitchen at mealtimes for anyone who is feeling hungry: I helped myself to a lovely aubergine and mushroom stew, with some salad and bread.

It is very refreshing to see socially motivated young people who care about making a difference at ground level.

Their passion reminds me of my own when I was much younger and politically involved in extra-parliamentary politics.

I am pretty sure that their action has been instrumental towards bringing this issue to the fore, and for people to take a stand against the 'Foxtonisation' of the Elephant.
Monday 27 July 2015 8.11am
This is one of the statements from one of the people who were evicted from the Social Centre. More statements to come.

"On Thursday 23rd of July, I was asleep upon the first floor of the Elephant and Castle Pub. At around 4:12 am our room was stormed by 4 people working on behalf of County Security.
One of the employees, (6ft 2", medium build, blonde hair with European accent) grabbed one of my friends, who was still asleep, and dragged him by his feet, whilst shouting "Get out you can't be in here". This caused my friend severe shock, stress and alarm. After noticing that he was fearing for his life, I moved to re-assure him that it was OK. My partner was still in the bed also contained in a state of severe shock.

As I continued to re-assure my friend, a large white Britishmale, ( with tribal tattoos on his left forearm and short blond hair) grabbed me by the hair, and dragged me downstairs, punching me whilst laughing almost manically. Once I arrived into the bar area, he released my hair. At that point I noticed two security guards attacking a male with severe arthritis, who could not walk.

I attemted to prevent them from causing him harm, by reasoning with them. Then my attacker again grabbed my hair, dragged me to the bar, and smashed my face off of it. After that I was dragged again by my hair to the beer garden. My attacker then punched me in the ribs and knelt with extreme force on my temple. This attack has caused me extreme swelling following mouth surgery 12 hours previously. My partner is also suffering shock. I also suffered Abbrasions to my right ribs."

However lawful the High Court order might have been - there is no good reason that bailiffs enforcing such an order should be allowed to act like the carabinieri did at that school in Genoa in 2001 - http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2013/may/22/g8-italy
Monday 27 July 2015 8.20am
Incredible. Are we in Chechnya or North Korea? I'm appalled. To whom can one complain? Is this our beloved Southwark Council?
Monday 27 July 2015 1.43pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
... To whom can one complain? Is this our beloved Southwark Council?

Err, if people were assaulted causing actual bodily harm in front of witnesses then wouldn't the obvious course of action be to report it to the police?
Freethepeeps, do you know if your source did so?
Monday 27 July 2015 2.06pm
What barbarism. How unnecessary, especially in light of the good work which Jules witnessed when he paid a visit.

Freethepeeps, reporting to the police is one option, but for anything to proceed the criminal standard of proof (beyond reasonable doubt that an assault took place) would apply. This may be viable given that there were witnesses, but may not.

Another option would be to make representations to the District Judge in the county court who issued the bailiff's certificate. The writ will "command" an officer of the security (bailiff) company to execute the writ and there will be a name on it for the bailiff. If you call the Northampton bulk centre (0845 4085302) they will be able to tell the county court who issued the bailiff's certificate. You can complain to the District Judge in that court as to the fitness of the bailiff to hold a certificate. NB: The bailiff is responsible for the conduct of those working for him. If a complaint is upheld then compensation could be payable.

This procedure can be complicated and I'd recommend that you seek some legal advice. This might be the sort of case that civil liberties lawyers would take on. I can recommend Hodge Jones & Allen in Euston (0808 278 8569), who have a first rate civil liberties team. In the interests of transparency I should declare that I previously worked for this firm.

Whatever you decide to do, the very best of luck. People in trusted positions, such as bailiffs, should not act in this way.
Monday 27 July 2015 3.10pm
Hi

The report I reposted was from the Social Centre's facebook page. The police were in attendance and witnessed at least some of the violence.

My understanding is that it was a High Court Possession Order see photo in se1 news report: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8400
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions