London SE1 community website

Mint Street Park development (disgrace)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Thursday 11 June 2015 3.40pm
From the BOST website:

'We are bringing together a partnership of local people, Southwark Council and other agencies, working to focus attention on the park and make sense of the boundaries. We have devised a plan to green the wide walkway in front of the stage, and add much more planting. Rather excitingly we are also hoping to make the park bigger! We are working with Southwark Council to achieve all the necessary permissions to close the redundant roads within the park and we hope to hold a consultation event around this in autumn.'

Not sure when that was posted and I haven't taken a look at the park recently, but if the work is complete, it would be worth comparing BOST's claims to the results. Regarding the construction; several years ago, Conway made a complete mess of the pedestrianised bit of Tabard Street, (a lost opportunity) and I dread to think of the state that that area will be left in once they have completed the reconstruction of the Marshalsea wall. My heart always sinks when I see Conway involved in yet another bit of urban reconstruction.

Perhaps BOST would like to comment on the issues raised here?
Zoe
Thursday 11 June 2015 9.06pm
A great banner has appeared on the new section (and can whoever made such a good banner in such a short period of time identify themselves, as we are bound to need banners in future and that's a really good one).
Thursday 11 June 2015 9.20pm
The park is such a valuable resource for kids in the area, but little attempt seems to be made to keep them safe there either in this new design or it's maintenance. The play service staff manning the adventure playground do an amazing job and kids love being there on a Friday after school particularly, but the park itself seems to be becoming an overspill hostel for the homeless. And, as has been mentioned on this thread dog poo has always been an issue, now it seems also human poo too in the bushes behind the platform area (person seen pooing there recently early in the morning - lovely), two drunks were seen fighting each other with sticks in front of kids there after school last week (this was not very late on in the afternoon and police were called), and dogs run around the park unleashed - most are fine, but there are many parents who would prefer their kids to be kept safe from any dog attacks (up 76% in 10years in news recently), especially those owned by adults who themselves seem unable to control themselves. Really Southwark, lets have this park cleaned up, wardened and made safe.
Friday 12 June 2015 12.34am
Astonishing how MSP went from being rubbish 15 years ago to being lovely 10 years ago and now going back to rubbish again. Don't know what Charles Dickens primary school is like these days, but when my children went there, fierce parents made MSP their own,spending Friday afternoons there chatting while the children played. No pissing, fighting, drinking back then. Of course this was before gentrification. You know, when people still cared.
Friday 12 June 2015 9.03am
Oh dear. Reading this makes me dread how they will ruin Nelson Square next. The council seems adamant to spend a lot of money on rebuilding our square, with no respect to the historical layout, or anything really.

A couple of consultation events, but the current plans are not anything that was shown in those events and what we commented on. Also the council in its wisdom has decided not to send all the hundreds living around the square a letter that this will no be decided.

Have a look - maybe this should have its own thread here http://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9560130
Friday 12 June 2015 10.10am
I don't dare look Nelson. The square just needs tarting up and making a bit safer as far as I can see. Not at all sure why they want to remodel it. Same with Hatfield Green: everyone pushed to keep the paths down the side of the football pitches because that's were spectators and waiting footballers stand, but the designers insisted in removing part of the path because it didn't suit their design plans. And of course the footballers are standing on the plants and are making their own path. The Friends of Hatfield Green are left solving the problem.
Friday 12 June 2015 1.52pm
Here is a photo of the corner entrance / exit of the park, which should have featured a small wall containing shrubbery to act as a natural barrier, protecting children from running into a dangerous blind spot in the Southwark bridge Road / Marshalsea street junction. Someone put the orange and white tape there in order to highlight the completely inadequate bollards that the council saw fit to place there !
Monday 15 June 2015 9.18am
In response to the critiques of the dogs being off the lead in Mint Street park. Yes, as a very local dog owner we do let our dogs exercise in the park and the majority of us are very considerate and pick up after our dogs. One of the main reasons we do use the park as there is so little local space to exercise them. I do believe we can use the space in harmony.

For children, besides Mint Street walled playground (where dogs are not allowed), there is Little Dorrit park which is both large, has a children's playground and furthermore which dogs are not permitted in. On the left of the park is a small dog park and although used for smaller dogs, it really isn't fit for larger ones. This is one of the reasons why Mint Street is ideal. You can throw balls and play with sticks etc. As much as I always have dog bags on me to clean up mess, we can not control where dogs take a pee regardless of if if they are on a leash or not.

If the concerned parent is worried about local pets in the area, I would suggest that Little Dorrit is a good area to also utilize. Most of the local dog owners who use Mint Street would love to introduce their dogs to the kids. Indeed most of the local kids know and are familiar with them and pose no danger. I do believe we can all use the park in harmony which is why I suggested CCTV to help discourage anti-social behaviour (including those inconsiderate owners who do not pick up and give the rest of us a bad name).
Monday 15 June 2015 10.04am
ChloeB wrote:
...One of the main reasons we do use the park as there is so little local space to exercise them. I do believe we can use the space in harmony.
For children, besides Mint Street walled playground (where dogs are not allowed), there is Little Dorrit park which is both large, has a children's playground and furthermore which dogs are not permitted in. On the left of the park is a small dog park and although used for smaller dogs, it really isn't fit for larger ones. This is one of the reasons why Mint Street is ideal. You can throw balls and play with sticks etc. As much as I always have dog bags on me to clean up mess, we can not control where dogs take a pee regardless of if if they are on a leash or not.

If the concerned parent is worried about local pets in the area, I would suggest that Little Dorrit is a good area to also utilize...

One of the reasons parents use Mint St is that you can throw balls and run around. Otherwise, "there's so little space to exercise them".

Little Dorrit is great for some things, but it's a small children's park and "it really isn't fit for the larger ones".

Who takes priority? Dogs or children?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 15 June 2015 11.27am
Tiring of dog owners saying that "most of us are responsible" when collecting dog waste. Yes that may be true, but even if 5% of dog owners don't clean up, that's enough to destroy a park for kids (cf. Bermondsey Spa Gardens). Wish the council would just ban them altogether from parks, and they'd only be allowed off leash in segregated designated areas in larger parks such as Burgess or Southwark. Works in other cities.

Also can't stand when dog owners come out with things like "they pose no danger". Really? How do you know? Your "loyal" terrier might be wonderful but I don't really know, or care, if he's off the leash charging around the park, around my kids.

Dogs should just be banned from any park smaller than 2 hectares on public safety, and also health grounds. The anti social owners ruin it for everyone else? So be it. Dog waste is poisonous.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions