London SE1 community website

Mint Street Park development (disgrace)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Tuesday 16 June 2015 1.47pm
Hi Zoe, yes I would be happy to get involved with the Hatfields friends group. Please let me have the necessary details.
Tuesday 16 June 2015 2.34pm
Hi Jason

Can you tell us when this happened (the bites that is) as this is the first I have heard of it and which dogs were involved? There shouldn't be dogs in the fenced in football pitch or in the kids area. These are pet no go areas and are clearly marked as such. This is why the suggestion was made to install CCTV. That way we can clearly deal with those bad owners what give the best of us Good owners a bad name.
Tuesday 16 June 2015 3.15pm
Tim Wood wrote:
Thank you for the invitation Banskside Open Spaces Trust (BOST) to respond.
There is a long history here as you can imagine. For example, the post quoted on BOSTís website was made in 2009. Quite a lot has changed since then.

In the many consultations that have been carried out over the years there have been three fundamentals that have been requested by the community time and time again:

-Remove hard surfaces,

-More greening,

-More colourful planting.

The present Council contract has failed to deliver any of the above.

Tim Wood
Chair BOST

Many thanks for a comprehensive response. I've been selective in quoting you, but basically the impression I get is that the end product at Mint Street is the result of Southwark Council's arrogance in paying lip service to 'consultation' and suggesting that they know what's best for local residents!
Zoe
Tuesday 16 June 2015 9.10pm
Hi Rhea, I have sent you a PM.

If anyone else would like to get involved in our friends group at Hatfields Green please message me. We are mainly focussing on watering the new plants and any additional assistance would be very welcome, to help to get the plants through the summer (after which they should be more established and less needy and demanding).
Wednesday 17 June 2015 7.13am
So just to clarify the work at mint street was just project managed? When I read the earlier posting that said the work was carried out inhouse I foolishly assumed that Southwark still had a major works department .shame it doesn't even ,if it cost more at least the works were carried out to a better standard.
Wednesday 17 June 2015 7.46pm
I am a local dog walker and use mint street park daily on our route around.
For 9 months a year we have no problem in the parks and then suddenly for 3 months a year we feel unwelcome.
I always say, where were you when it was minus 2.
We are there come rain or shine, during hail, frosts and snow.

The dog walkers are a community within a community. All of us are responsible. We are very aware of what is happening in the park and the surrounding area. We share information on any issues with other park users. Some of us know the gardeners well and have a good relationship with the regular kids and parents alike.
When the sun comes out and the temperatures warm up suddenly all these people arrive and turn there noses up at us and leave litter and a general mess. Hey there was even a couple having open sex in the park last year, not to mention the man in the bushes with a huge knife! How do I know this, from other dog walkers!
Who covers half the park in bread anyway? Not surprised there is rats in the park with all that food waste and bread!

We are not the bad guys, we dog walkers if anything are helping to protect the park.
There are some dog owners how refuse to pick up after there dog but these people are not part of the dog community and will let there dog pooh in the park if dogs were allowed or not. We also know who these people are in most cases.

There is also human pooh in the park which I believe also inflicts the imperial war museum (GMH park) There is an element of anti-social drinkers who let there dogs roam unsupervised which most of us don't!

Tell you what come and bring your picnic down with little Tarquin in December.

The park should be for everything to enjoy and that is what it was created for. There are irresponsible dog owners and there is irresponsible adults and irresponsible parents and badly behaved children and well behaved children.
That is life, move on......
Thursday 18 June 2015 9.17am
^ usual tired response. "All the dog owner community are angels. Oh those anti social dog owners, they're not part of our 'community'."

You're all the same to me. A person with a dog. If some if you can't look after your animals, then the animals should be barred. Doesn't matter if you're there in winter more or not, that doesn't give you license to let your dogs roam off leash and crap where they want.
Thursday 18 June 2015 3.10pm
cathygregson wrote:

I always say, where were you when it was minus 2.
We are there come rain or shine, during hail, frosts and snow.

That is life, move on......

Well, that's just part of the deal of being a dog owner, and doesn't make you more worthy or more entitled to use local parks than anyone else, whatever the weather.

Perhaps 'move on' to a new thread to debate the doggy doos and don'ts? I suggest Park life. Ooh, I feel a song coming on..
Saturday 20 June 2015 12.12pm
kevinruairi wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33211099

The point of posting that link is what, exactly?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions