London SE1 community website

Useless new MP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Saturday 13 June 2015 10.06am
EW your comment is a rather convoluted way of calling Gavin Smith a liar without appearing so to do.
I always expect better of you and then your unceasing urge to have the last word forces you to try and demonstrate that you are the oracle of SE1, by doing so you then fall short of your usual standards as you have done here.
Saturday 13 June 2015 10.20am
I couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks TBH.
Saturday 13 June 2015 11.39am
Gavin,

I think we all need to give the new MP a fair chance here.

I am not a Labour supporter or voter - but he is our MP after all, and he represents all of us. Labour won convincingly and fairly - and we've got to be gracious enough to accept that and help them to make the best of this area.

In fact, anyone who is prepared to take up public office and endure such scrutiny and criticism has my admiration. So actually, Neil Coyle actually needs OUR support in making sure that SE1 is promoted and improved.

On what must have been very a difficult election night for Labour, Southwark was one of their successes where they consolidated their support. It is also very encouraging to see them succeed in Tower Hamlets recently and remove a corrupt Mayor - again, I'm not a Labour supporter but this was good news for both democracy and responsible governance.

I don't agree with a lot of their policies, but I do believe that they are responsible people acting in good faith.
Saturday 13 June 2015 12.08pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
EW your comment is a rather convoluted way of calling Gavin Smith a liar without appearing so to do.
I always expect better of you and then your unceasing urge to have the last word forces you to try and demonstrate that you are the oracle of SE1, by doing so you then fall short of your usual standards as you have done here.

Haha! That made laugh. Thanks TBH. And I didn't call GS a liar, I said I give him the benefit of the doubt, didn't I. That's more than he does. If I wanted to accuse him of anything it'd be of unsubstantiated defamation, but I won't. Why publish vage allegations if you can't give any details/facts? It's the cheapest form of and a poor attempt at character assassination.
Saturday 13 June 2015 4.01pm
Gavin

While I understand your frustration, it seems a bit OTT to label someone "useless" when you do not know the circumstances of why he did not reply, and simply because you did not get the outcome you wanted. Again, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to suggest that it was a deliberate act - after all, Coyle represents 130,000 constituents and as presumably got to prioritise his areas of focus (especially as he is new to the role).

I imagine that MPs must get inundated with 100s of emails with lots of 'emergencies'. It's only been a month since the general election and I'm sure it's been a hectic time. I didn't vote for him, but give the guy a chance!
Saturday 13 June 2015 4.33pm
EW, that's how I interpeted your post. As for defamation, I think you need to understand the principles/ingredients for a claim in defamation before you label anything I say as defamatory. You clearly have no grasp of same.
Saturday 13 June 2015 4.45pm
Hi All,

I am politically unaffiliated and, if pressed, would place myself left of Labour in terms of my ideals.

Over a 35 year period, Simon Hughes has served our community, and indeed the Nation, very well.

In the case of the Draper Residents Association that I belong to, Sir Simon was consistently supportive and attended many of our events and meetings.

I congratulate Neil Coyle on his accession to Westminster, and hope he will engage with his constituents with the same impartial vigour displayed his predecessor.

He has some big shoes to fill, but if there is the political will he can do it...
Sunday 14 June 2015 9.29pm
Gavin, Before the election I think your home was plastered with Simon Hughes Vote Lib Dem posters. You have regularly attacked me and council colleagues for being - er Labour. So this latest contribution is again just silly and incredibly partisan. Time to move on Gavin and give Neil a chance - maybe he will convince you in 32 years time'
Sunday 14 June 2015 10.05pm
PeterJohn wrote:
Gavin, Before the election I think your home was plastered with Simon Hughes Vote Lib Dem posters. You have regularly attacked me and council colleagues for being - er Labour. So this latest contribution is again just silly and incredibly partisan. Time to move on Gavin and give Neil a chance - maybe he will convince you in 32 years time'

Thank you for your contribution Peter John: it is always good when a senior member of LBS writes to the people who live here.

I hope Neil will follow your example and depart from a perceived lack of engagement with our community of Elephant & Castle residents: we need to know he is available and on our side.

This engagement would apply to both of his roles as LBS Councilor and as a Member of Parliament.

We have seen very little of Neil at our initiatives: it is almost as if he doesn't want to deal with us.

I am confident that he will listen to you: please see to it that he will raise his level of engagement with us Draper Estate residents.

We need him, and he needs us.
Sunday 14 June 2015 10.29pm
This film was made by our neighborhood children.

None of our LBS Ward Councilors turned up for the screening.

Can anyone see that there is a problem here?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions