London SE1 community website

Road works and closures in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Saturday 20 June 2015 7.19am
My car is in an underground space that we bought with the flat....

Anyway its not 'transport' - its 42 years old ;)
Saturday 20 June 2015 12.40pm
Brendan D wrote:
At the risk of being howled down can I ask the obvious question?
Why are you trying to 'get around' by car in the first place???

I have a car, but its left its underground parking space once in 6 months.

Personally speaking, the roadworks and road closures in question have affected me on all the modes of transport I use: bicycle, scooter and bus. I don't actually have a car at all. In fact I haven't even passed my test!
Sunday 21 June 2015 9.19am
I don't know if its the combination of all these works but living near to the Tower Bridge Road & Grange Road works there has been appalling behaviour! It seems that when there is a 4-way traffic light that drivers feel entitled to beep their horn for extended periods at all hours of the night. I don't care how badly the timing has been done on the lights or what the perceived slight is, there is no excuse for being so inconsiderate in a residential area. I just hope that someone who has laid on their horn for up to a minute at 4am in the past few days would think again in future. Especially after then being awoken by the dulcet tones of the maintenance crew's circular stone cutting saw at 8am!
Monday 22 June 2015 7.49am
[quote Brendan D]At the risk of being howled down can I ask the obvious question?
Why are you trying to 'get around' by car in the first place???

I am not trying to get around by car -i am using the bus which is being held up by the road works
Monday 29 June 2015 9.33pm
What a nightmare on TBR tonight. There is single file traffic along TBR both sides of Long Lane/Abbey St. The lights are not synched properly so it is chaos!
jpm
Tuesday 30 June 2015 6.30am
I think you might have put your finger on a big part of the problem juanita - usually we have all the traffic lights synchronised to try to make traffic flow properly. If they're all on temporary lights then this is unlikely to be the case.

Certainly looking out of my flat yesterday at the traffic on the Old Kent Road, New Kent Road and Tower Bridge Road and it looked like the scene from the Italian Job. Elephant & Castle roundabout looks like that most days....
Tuesday 30 June 2015 10.37am
Must admit I've less sympathy for stationary traffic and more self-pity for my difficulty in sleeping during the deafening roadworks TfL is undertaking on TBR till 4am *yawn* next couple of nights will be a real joy...
Tuesday 30 June 2015 2.18pm
What on earth is going on today, Southwark Street, Soutwark Bridge Road, Great Suffolk Street and others are gridlocked. There seem to be taxis everywhere and the Met Police are seemingly stopping the rat runs to allow people to get away.

Luckily we are not delivering today as it would be impossible.
Tuesday 30 June 2015 2.23pm
Just seen it is a taxi protest on top of the usual hassle that we have running a business is SE1. Better if I don't elaborate on my thoughts...
Tuesday 30 June 2015 5.03pm
TonyCap wrote:
What on earth is going on today, Southwark Street, Soutwark Bridge Road, Great Suffolk Street and others are gridlocked.

The Met Police are carrying out a two-day exercise to rehearse approaches to terrorism.

Early afternoon most of the thames bridges were shut.

Some details at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33315691
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions