London SE1 community website

Road works and closures in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Tuesday 30 June 2015 5.16pm
TonyCap wrote:
Just seen it is a taxi protest on top of the usual hassle that we have running a business is SE1. Better if I don't elaborate on my thoughts...

Well, amongst other things the taxi operators are upset about Uber, which they see as unfair competition. In my opinion, they have a point. Anyway, we can all be thankful that our London cabbies have a more civilised approach to protest than their counterparts across the Channel.
Thursday 2 July 2015 8.17pm
I think Uber is more of an issue for minicab firms than for black-cab drivers. We forget that in many parts of London black cabs (even as centrally as our very own postcode) are few and far between; one cannot rely upon just stepping out and hailing one.

Furthermore black cabs do themselves no favours when in 2015 the vast majority are still cash only and those that do accept cards slap a whacking great surcharge on the fare for doing so.
Saturday 4 July 2015 1.29am
Bel Ludovic wrote:
I think Uber is more of an issue for minicab firms than for black-cab drivers. We forget that in many parts of London black cabs (even as centrally as our very own postcode) are few and far between; one cannot rely upon just stepping out and hailing one.
Furthermore black cabs do themselves no favours when in 2015 the vast majority are still cash only and those that do accept cards slap a whacking great surcharge on the fare for doing so.

I assume your statement about a dearth of black cabs was tongue in cheek Bel, my friend and I came out of Baltic on Blackfriars Road recently, around 23.45 to 23.50, and while swerving the illegal chancers murmuring, "Taxi miss", that were parked outside Baltic, we could have been blinded by the yellow TAXI lights, both in The Cut, Union Street, and Blackfriars road.
I queried the reason for the surcharge for CCs once with a black cab driver, he said that the radio circuit he subscribed to charged the 12.5% that was added automatically to the metered fare, it went to the radio circuit, and not to him.
He didn't like it, and said he could understand the public's attitude to it, but the circuits say that it goes toward the millions they've invested in state of the art computer terminals.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions