London SE1 community website

The Gregorian Pub Jamaica Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 9 July 2015 12.17pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Hi GS - SE1 website has the answer here for The Ship Aground - the others mentioned are just over the border in SE16

Thanks - never knew that was there so will make sure I give it a try soon!
Sunday 9 August 2015 5.19pm
Went to the Mayflower for lunch today- excellent, will definitely return.
Sunday 9 August 2015 6.56pm
The angel is possesses what is surely one of the top locations in London. The balcony overhanging the river, the upstairs lounge and the large paved area by the side of the pub all have fantastic views of the river and tower bridge. It's criminally unknown in my opinion - rarely full even on a summer day. It's Sam Smiths so standard range of drinks, no music. Food is pretty poor from what I remember.
npt
Tuesday 11 August 2015 11.27am
The Angel is a great spot, nice and clean with decently kept beers. Don't know if it's the lack of music that causes this, but you get the vague sense that you're being watched in there by the regulars and need to keep your voice down. Might just be me.
The Mayflower just down the road is a much better option. Probably the best kept secret in London. Feels like a rural country pub inside with it's low beams and cute nooks and crannies. Got a load of different beers, great food, a great atmosphere, and the balcony over The Thames is excellent, even in winter with the gas heaters.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 3.07pm
Each to their own, as a long term Rotherhithe resident, who enjoys an occasional social drink but rarely if ever comes close to getting trashed, I think that both The Mayflower and The Angel have about as much atmosphere as the interior of a refrigerator.
I imagine that tourists, particularly Americans, must love the Olde Worlde interior of The Mayflower, but living some 500 metres from it, it leaves me cold.
I have to concur with fusionsnow's critique of the food at The Angel, I went there a couple of years back, invited as a guest at someone's family get together.
Everyone was completely underwhelmed by the food, and there were murmurs of discontent at the one brand only Sam Smith's beers and wines.
As soon as we could, we all left and made our way to The Ship, St. Mary Church Street, a much better establishment IMO.
I haven't been in "The Greg" since prior to its renovation, but it always seemed okay as I recall.
npt
Tuesday 11 August 2015 3.10pm
Agreed Debrajohn, one persons trash is another's treasure and all that. I was a bit underwhelemed by The Greg but it was very early days there after the reopening. St James is a really nice pub now too and I'm glad it seems to have survived the difficult first year.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 3.55pm
My wife and I once attempted to patronise the Angel, finding ourselves passing by on an early evening walk and spitting feathers. I entered to have a quick recce, confirmed that there was plenty of space inside, then went back out to fetch the rest of my party. Catching sight of the pushchair and our baby daughter, the chap behind the bar looked appalled, rather as though I was wheeling in a barrow full of ordure, and told us we couldn't bring her inside. So we didn't have a drink there that evening and we haven't been back since.

About the Sam Smith's beer, whilst I know a lot of people aren't keen I like their bitter. I seem to remember their organic bottled lager is nice too. Prices are very fair and I do admire their quirky independence.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 4.11pm
Sam Smiths tend to have architecturally lovely pubs...and their beer is very cheap....but it's awful.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 13 August 2015 8.16am
Been there once and quite enjoyed it. As far as they keep the excellent menu and live gigs, they'll still be popular.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions