London SE1 community website

Neil Coyle abstains from vote on Welfare Bill

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Thursday 23 July 2015 8.17pm
It was the Labour leaders who did the hard work in the background to win the war - Atlee, Bevin, Cripps.

Moving back to Neil Coyle, I am very encouraged to see that he abstained in the welfare vote - in fact I could almost vote for him now. That was the right thing to do in almost impossible circumstances for Labour. That tells us that he is shrewd, intelligent. He will not fall into the traps set by George Osborne - we should be encouraged by that.

He understands that it is very delicate time now for Labour, and they must not let their enemies gain the upper hand.
Thursday 23 July 2015 9.40pm
Watched the youtube link to Clement Attlee's interview.Thanks for that Jules62 , bags of sincerity from Clem

As to Neil Coyle's abstention . Perhaps a constituent or news reporter should ask his reasoning

The devious Tories combine Welfare and Work provisions so that Apprenticeship and Full Employment potential positives are lumped into the same Bill as some punitive
welfare reforms.

Frank Field abstained so that the real fight can be taken up in Committee stage

It's all tactics ain't it
Thursday 23 July 2015 9.57pm
there's stuff in this week's southwark news (as the three 'labour' mps in southwark all abstained)

here's something a bit less serious http://t.co/ckpQnuM9Eo
Friday 24 July 2015 5.35pm
Pros,

That fact that they all our local MPs abstained on the welfare vote simply shows us that they see the bigger picture here. I know see Harriet Harman in a completely different light - I totally respect her for taking this stand.

It's easy to protest (I think you already know that) - what's really, really difficult is to get people to take you seriously enough to entrust you with office and to do the right thing which is not always the same as the populist thing.

You go ahead and vote for the hard-left Marxist Corbyn (assuming you are even a member of the Labour Party, which I very much doubt) and watch what happens.

Would you be happy with a leader who could never represent effective opposition to the Tories?

A potential tragedy for Labour is unfolding here - it really isn't something to joke about.
Friday 24 July 2015 6.30pm
shame ...
Friday 24 July 2015 10.07pm
Floodplain wrote:
Pros,
That fact that they all our local MPs abstained on the welfare vote simply shows us that they see the bigger picture here. I know see Harriet Harman in a completely different light - I totally respect her for taking this stand.

It's easy to protest (I think you already know that) - what's really, really difficult is to get people to take you seriously enough to entrust you with office and to do the right thing which is not always the same as the populist thing.

You go ahead and vote for the hard-left Marxist Corbyn (assuming you are even a member of the Labour Party, which I very much doubt) and watch what happens.

Would you be happy with a leader who could never represent effective opposition to the Tories?

A potential tragedy for Labour is unfolding here - it really isn't something to joke about.

There are also a another two ways: the Blairite way and a 4th and totally new way that none of us can even imagine yet (same as was the case before 'New Labour' was declared).

It is not black and white (ie: Harman or Corbyn): there are shades of gray in between.

Harman may well be one of those 11th hour hat throw-ins that I referred to in an earlier post, but right now her role is merely that of a temporary caretaker.

One thing is for sure: if those eligible to vote in the leadership contest aren't offered the opportunity to choose a viable, fresh new face with bold new ideas (so far I haven't seen anything remotely like that), Labour will remain in opposition for a very long time.

If this is the case, I hope the Lib Dems have better luck, because the Tories MUST be democratically removed from government as soon as our system allows.
Friday 24 July 2015 10.20pm
I am sure that we will see a Lib Dems renaissance, both locally and nationally. Indeed I have recently joined the party as a member and am proud to have done so.

The whole Labour thing, both locally and nationally, is a joke. The Labour party doesn't know what it stands for. Piers Corbyn seems like the best of a bad bunch.
Saturday 25 July 2015 12.35am
I truly believe politics is cyclical and after 5 years of this mob we may just like the sound of someone promising renationalisation of a few bits.
We may well like the sound of someone promising some kind of rent restraints.
It's all very well saying we must get the Tories out ASAP, I agree, but it's no good if you're just going to replace them with Tory light. We will need something a bit stronger than that because they ( Tory light)wont undo enough of what the Tories have put in place, eventually they will get kicked out and the jolly old Tories will carry on more or less where they left off and drag us all a bit further into Dickensian times.

I wouldn't underestimate Corbyn, he has the knack, like Farage, of making all those labels, aimed at him, seem way wide of the mark, when he speaks, he seems to speak popular sense, again, like Farage.

I think he's trustable, in a way Foot would never have been.
Saturday 25 July 2015 6.45am
boroughonian wrote:

I think he's trustable, in a way Foot would never have been.

...and in a way that Farage, of course, never will be. And that's not in the only flaw in this attempt to associate Nige with integrity by proxy.
Saturday 25 July 2015 6.50am
Sigh

I was actually being apolitical, or at least trying to analyse from outside the game.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions