London SE1 community website

Neil Coyle abstains from vote on Welfare Bill

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Zoe
Saturday 25 July 2015 7.09am
I'm a little surprised at someone defending abstaining in the vote. What is the point of being the opposition if you don't oppose and this vote was about implementing really nasty cuts, which are not Labour national policy so Harriet Harman had no reason to call to abstain.

If the Labour Party doesn't oppose the politics of the Tories, what's the point of them. No wonder they didn't win the election when they aren't acting like an opposition and aren't providing an alternative.
Saturday 25 July 2015 7.33am
boroughonian wrote:
Sigh
I was actually being apolitical, or at least trying to analyse from outside the game.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were trying to score some free brownie points for good old Nige on the back of Corbyn's integrity.
Saturday 25 July 2015 7.36am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Sigh
I was actually being apolitical, or at least trying to analyse from outside the game.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were trying to score some free brownie points for good old Nige on the back of Corbyn's integrity.

and there was me thinking I was making a case for Corbyn.
Saturday 25 July 2015 7.48am
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Sigh

By drawing comparisons to Farage? How odd - not necessarily because of Nige's views, I just don't believe a word he says.
Saturday 25 July 2015 7.57am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Sigh

By drawing comparisons to Farage? How odd - not necessarily because of Nige's views, I just don't believe a word he says.

Farage gained popularity despite being sniped at from all directions, I can see the same thing happening with Corbyn, was my point. He answers questions with a "straight bat" like you know who.
I see similarities, not political obviously, I see similarities with those two and Galloway actually.
Saturday 25 July 2015 8.08am
Jules62-- there is a 4th way and it does indeed need a fresh face and boldness to push it forward . There are just two Human Needs viz. Sustenance and Shelter . The latter requires a major shake up of land ownership . The party that has the guts to phase out private landlordism and treats land as a national asset ( note , the land and not what is built on it ) can halt the current destruction of value that is taking place in this country . I would refer you to Alfred Russell Wallace's papers on the subject written more than a century ago.
Saturday 25 July 2015 8.18am
I'd like to think NC's reasons for abstaining are genuine. I also hope Labour choose a genuine, Labour worthy leader, as we need that, if only for balance.
Saturday 25 July 2015 4.25pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I'd like to think NC's reasons for abstaining are genuine. I also hope Labour choose a genuine, Labour worthy leader, as we need that, if only for balance.

So we agreed all along, but had to go through that crap as you hit your default position of trying to slap people down.

Brilliant.
Sunday 26 July 2015 12.02pm
A genuine principled position or the new boy toadying to the leadership with an eye on his future?

We shall see.

One cannot thank him enough, of course, for nominating Jeremy Corbyn.

The sight of these dreary Blairites running around screaming 'it's not fair' is wonderful entertainment.
Sunday 26 July 2015 1.03pm
JasonSE1 wrote:
One cannot thank him enough, of course, for nominating Jeremy Corbyn.

Shame he then decided to withdraw his support:

"Neil Coyle, MP for Southwark and Bermondsey, said he had now switched his vote to Yvette Cooper or Liz Kendall, although he did not regret nominating Mr Corbyn"

He said: I dont think he would be a good leader for our party or this country and that is what I hope members will be thinking when they cast their final vote.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions