London SE1 community website

Neil Coyle abstains from vote on Welfare Bill

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Sunday 26 July 2015 1.11pm
Oh indeed, I saw his weasel words once the creepy former 'advisers' of our millionaire former Prime Minister started to berate MPs for daring to act individually.

It doesn't reflect well on Mr Coyle, but he can only be thanked for nominating Mr Corbyn in the first place.

I've tried to listen to the other candidates but they all blend into one after a while, especially on the page. Apparently Liz Kendall wants to take Labour 'back to its roots'. I'm not sure she has the same party of Keir Hardie or Clem Atlee in mind when she parrots the Tory mantra of not getting in the way of their corporate masters and offering up whatever policies she thinks will get the party elected. I'd be rather sad if my own MP could vote for somebody so without shame.
Sunday 26 July 2015 1.36pm
Corbyn seems like a really decent bloke. It is to the Labour Party's detriment that its MPs and others seem to want to demonise and discredit him. Typical Labour.
Sunday 26 July 2015 1.45pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Corbyn seems like a really decent bloke. It is to the Labour Party's detriment that its MPs and others seem to want to demonise and discredit him. Typical Labour.

Typical modern politics I'd say. It's not restricted to politicians either, the electorate indulges just as as much.
Sunday 26 July 2015 2.33pm
If austerity means cutting back on groundbreaking innovations such as this, I sincerely hope that whoever becomes leader will oppose it and stay true to those values:



It was set up in 1948 at a time when Britain's economy was crippled by the recent war and rationing was still in place, yet this didn't stop the NHS from becoming a reality.

Why should we cut back on it now that our economy is in a much better place?
Sunday 26 July 2015 3.46pm
i wish people would stop attacking senior labour politicians
Sunday 26 July 2015 4.00pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Gavin Smith wrote:
Corbyn seems like a really decent bloke. It is to the Labour Party's detriment that its MPs and others seem to want to demonise and discredit him. Typical Labour.

Typical modern politics I'd say. It's not restricted to politicians either, the electorate indulges just as as much.

PS - not restricted to Labour either, I wanted to add.
Sunday 26 July 2015 5.30pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Gavin Smith wrote:
Corbyn seems like a really decent bloke. It is to the Labour Party's detriment that its MPs and others seem to want to demonise and discredit him. Typical Labour.

Typical modern politics I'd say. It's not restricted to politicians either, the electorate indulges just as as much.

PS - not restricted to Labour either, I wanted to add.

Absolutely: no major party can honestly say that they are above making use of the dark arts...
Sunday 26 July 2015 5.57pm
The cock-up in the leadership election should be aborted at once. There is no real need to have it done and dusted by the annual conference, the NEC can run the party until they come up with a much more considered way of selecting a leader, after all they have at least four years before the next General Election.
To delay would allow Labour to concentrate on the true horror of Tory proposals especially welfare cuts and the behaviour of high Tories like Ian Duncan Smith punching the air with great satisfaction and shouting "Fantastic" in the Commons when the cuts were announced in the Budget.
Get the leadership fiasco off the front pages and the really nasty party on them. Show the public how truly nasty the Tories are as shown by IDS behaviour
Sunday 26 July 2015 6.26pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
The cock-up in the leadership election should be aborted at once. There is no real need to have it done and dusted by the annual conference

Unfortunately there is an urgent need for the leadership contest to be resolved ASAP: it is imperative that a strong parliamentary opposition to the Tory government be up and fighting as soon as possible.

This means Labour, the Lib Dems and SNP need to chill the f*** out on their old petty differences and find a common ground to strategize a coordinated opposition plan that may even persuade some left leaning Tories to vote against their own party whip.

For Labour to be able to do this, it MUST select a leader that is inspiring to the voters and trusted by their opposition partners.

Labour needs an inspirational new face, with some inspirational new concepts.
Sunday 26 July 2015 8.42pm
"Labour needs an inspirational new face, with some inspirational new concepts"

Lord Sewer/L seems to have set things back a bit for Labour???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11764182/Lord-Sewel-could-be-first-peer-expelled-under-new-rules-after-snorting-cocaine-with-prostitutes.html
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions