London SE1 community website

Neil Coyle abstains from vote on Welfare Bill

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Sunday 26 July 2015 9.11pm
JazzyQ wrote:
"Labour needs an inspirational new face, with some inspirational new concepts"
Lord Sewer/L seems to have set things back a bit for Labour???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11764182/Lord-Sewel-could-be-first-peer-expelled-under-new-rules-after-snorting-cocaine-with-prostitutes.html

On the contrary,I think he might just have involuntarily helped progress speed up a bit. Politics, across all parties, is rife with this behaviour, so the party that cleans its act up first will have an edge.
Sunday 26 July 2015 9.11pm
JazzyQ wrote:
"Labour needs an inspirational new face, with some inspirational new concepts"
Lord Sewer/L seems to have set things back a bit for Labour???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11764182/Lord-Sewel-could-be-first-peer-expelled-under-new-rules-after-snorting-cocaine-with-prostitutes.html

While I am sure that person could be considered inspirational by some misguided people, the mere fact that he is a Lord means that he would never have been even considered as a candidate for the leadership. (can you imagine Prime Ministers Questions if the PM is a Lord who is not allowed into the Commons?).

Dodgy people have existed in all parties, such as Cyril Smith in the Lib Dems, or the Tory Jeffrey Archer, Lord Boothby and Alan Clark.

I could spend a few minutes researching and come up with plenty more names (these are just from memory), but so could all who read this post...
Sunday 26 July 2015 9.37pm
Jules62 wrote:

I could spend a few minutes researching and come up with plenty more names (these are just from memory), but so could all who read this post...

Also, there are tons of "debates" on the internet already where people do nothing but compiling lists of scandals by members of parties they dislike. Pointless, as they're all at it.
Sunday 26 July 2015 9.42pm
...and then you have voters making up stories about politicians in order to try and discredit them. Some really get the politicians they deserve.
Sunday 26 July 2015 11.05pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
...and then you have voters making up stories about politicians in order to try and discredit them. Some really get the politicians they deserve.

Yes: unfortunately politics have the ability to bring out the very worse of some people.

Nevertheless, I still have faith in the majority of ordinary people who do not treat everything as a conspiracy, and seize upon the myriad of unfounded slurs and allegations some make about others.
Monday 27 July 2015 5.42am
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Yes: unfortunately politics have the ability to bring out the very worse of some people.

Nevertheless, I still have faith in the majority of ordinary people who do not treat everything as a conspiracy, and seize upon the myriad of unfounded slurs and allegations some make about others.

Oh, absolutely. You have to have faith or you might as well pack it in.
Monday 27 July 2015 8.23am
I am certainly pleased that Mr. Coyle lent his nomination to Jeremy Corbyn after HIS first preference Mary Creagh withdrew from the Labour leadership race. It has forced the candidates to debate austerity and has also caused a wider public debate.

I am not impressed that Mr. Coyle abstained from the vote on the Welfare Bill, bearing in mind that he used to claim to be an 'anti-poverty campaigner' on his twitter page, before constituents chose to elect him, rather than return Simon Hughes. It was precisely because Mr. Hughes abstained on such votes in the coalition government that he lost so much of his popularity.

No doubt Mr. Coyle's surgery will be full of people who don't know how to cope, as the effects of the Welfare Bill start to bite and thousands of children are pushed into poverty........

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/news/1325327-welfare-reforms-will-lead-to-120000-more-children-in-poverty/
Monday 27 July 2015 10.54am
freethepeeps wrote:
I am certainly pleased that Mr. Coyle lent his nomination to Jeremy Corbyn after HIS first preference Mary Creagh withdrew from the Labour leadership race. It has forced the candidates to debate austerity and has also caused a wider public debate.
I am not impressed that Mr. Coyle abstained from the vote on the Welfare Bill, bearing in mind that he used to claim to be an 'anti-poverty campaigner' on his twitter page, before constituents chose to elect him, rather than return Simon Hughes. It was precisely because Mr. Hughes abstained on such votes in the coalition government that he lost so much of his popularity.

No doubt Mr. Coyle's surgery will be full of people who don't know how to cope, as the effects of the Welfare Bill start to bite and thousands of children are pushed into poverty........

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/news/1325327-welfare-reforms-will-lead-to-120000-more-children-in-poverty/

IDS and the Tories have taken care of the child poverty and adjusted those figures by redefining what consists being poor.
Monday 27 July 2015 5.56pm
The unappealing man also wants to remove the actual term. Because then, of course, it doesn't exist.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/iain-duncan-smith-trying-erase-6105011
Monday 27 July 2015 11.01pm
There are people on this forum who seem anti Neil Coyle. Simon Hughes lost in this constituency the majority voted for a new MP and a fresh start. Give our new MP a chance it is very early days. I think Neil Coyle will not only be a great MP I think he will be a strong voice in parliament.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions