London SE1 community website

Neil Coyle abstains from vote on Welfare Bill

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
Monday 27 July 2015 11.35pm
se1antique wrote:
There are people on this forum who seem anti Neil Coyle. Simon Hughes lost in this constituency the majority voted for a new MP and a fresh start. Give our new MP a chance it is very early days. I think Neil Coyle will not only be a great MP I think he will be a strong voice in parliament.

I am not impressed with his u-turn on his support for Corbyn, but I agree, he should be given a chance. I don't think trying to undermine him as some try and do is in the interest of the electorate.
Tuesday 28 July 2015 11.58am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I am not impressed with his u-turn on his support for Corbyn, but I agree, he should be given a chance. I don't think trying to undermine him as some try and do is in the interest of the electorate.

To be fair, I don't think Mr. Coyle has done a u-turn on Corbyn. He lent him his nomination but never claimed he supported him.

I see that the CLP have offered a supporting nomination to Liz Kendall. What I'm unsure about is whether the MP or the CLP are representative of the majority of Labour voters in the constituency. And how/whether that can change.......
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/which-clps-are-nominating-who-labour-leadership-contest
Tuesday 28 July 2015 12.11pm
freethepeeps wrote:
To be fair, I don't think Mr. Coyle has done a u-turn on Corbyn. He lent him his nomination but never claimed he supported him.

That's how I interpret this though:

...MP for Southwark and Bermondsey, said he had now switched his vote to Yvette Cooper or Liz Kendall, although he did not regret nominating Mr Corbyn...
Tuesday 28 July 2015 2.53pm
Labour peer Lord Sewer's antics spoofed up in the press today. Hard to take these respectable chaps seriously, eh, what, tally ho.
Certainly livened things up a bit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3177109/Dontcha-wish-girlfriend-hot-like-Cocaine-snorting-Lord-Sewel-gets-internet-treatment-call-girl-party.html
Tuesday 28 July 2015 3.11pm
Probably because of the rapidly changing nature of the demographics in this country will make the NHS unsustainable is why. It has little to do with GDP growth rates and more to do with the impact of an ageing population, lower birth rates and higher rates of immigration.

Blindly yelling out "get your hands off our NHS" isn't actually going to solve anything.
Tuesday 28 July 2015 4.08pm
Eiger wrote:
... the rapidly changing nature of the demographics in this country will make the NHS unsustainable ... It has little to do with GDP growth rates and more to do with ... higher rates of immigration.

I disagree. Can you provide evidence for that assertion?

Eiger wrote:
Blindly yelling out "get your hands off our NHS" isn't actually going to solve anything.

I didn't notice anyone yelling, "blindly" or otherwise. Most people in this country are proud of the NHS (see e.g. here, page 3) and it's only right that they express it.
Tuesday 28 July 2015 5.32pm
Eiger wrote:
Probably because of the rapidly changing nature of the demographics in this country will make the NHS unsustainable is why. It has little to do with GDP growth rates and more to do with the impact of...lower birth rates and higher rates of immigration.

I know this diverts the thread even further but Eiger's comments caught my eye. It depends which source (and the interpretation) from the past couple of years you want to believe. Take your pick:

'Large decrease in number of births'
Office for National Statistics figures show.

'British birth rate leaps by 18% in a decade'
The Independent

'Soaring immigration sparks British baby boom'
The Daily Fail
Wednesday 29 July 2015 1.01am
Eiger wrote:

So, what will then?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions