London SE1 community website

Roupell Street EF School Development Horror

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Wednesday 5 August 2015 9.34am
Tranquil area. Highly desirable. Reminiscent of my upbringing in the country. Especially tree with the sparrows. They disappeared recently but think they are back now no tree cutting please Lambeth Council/Kate Hoey. MP. This is our oxygen supply.
W??? Whittesley and street behind where some offices are located is heaven indeed.

As far as EF language school is concerned they probably want to extend classroom space but makes it more claustrophobic for all unless they have another outdoor rest area?

In general not a good idea so maybe back to the drawing board or leave well alone (town/go
An etcetera)
Wednesday 5 August 2015 9.37am
Tranquil area. Highly desirable. Reminiscent of my upbringing in the country. Especially tree with the sparrows. They disappeared recently but think they are back now no tree cutting please Lambeth Council/Kate Hoey. MP. This is our oxygen supply.
W??? Whittesley and street behind where some offices are located is heaven indeed.

As far as EF language school is concerned they probably want to extend classroom space but makes it more claustrophobic for all unless they have another outdoor rest area?

In general not a good idea so maybe back to the drawing board or leave well alone (town/go. How about a Waitrose here? Ha ha!!!
An etcetera)

Cotswolds 12
Wednesday 5 August 2015 12.15pm
Paramount wrote:
Tranquil area. Highly desirable. Reminiscent of my upbringing in the country.
Sorry, but that road is about as UNlike any bit of countryside as anything I've ever seen.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 6 August 2015 10.19pm
Must be one of the most stupid designs I have ever seen. It must have been designed by Heatherwick as no one else could want to completely destroy this building , which fits in with the Roupell Street conservation area.I am sure that Johanna Lumley and Boris will support and no doubt throw in public money just to annoy us
Sunday 9 August 2015 12.57pm
Ivanhoe i meant relative peace countryside ... when i resided East Anglian towns many streets with traditional picturesque tea shop type biildings were like this small conservation area wish we had more like it away from these modern monstrosities.

Cotswolds 12
Sunday 9 August 2015 2.50pm
Ah, I see.
You meant it's like a town.
Should we interpret the rest of your posts in the light of that key to translation?

Sunday 9 August 2015 4.38pm
Paramount I understand what you mean. When I lived in the country, Devon, in a small hamlet of four houses and a farm surrounded by beautiful countryside, verdant and full of the sounds of the countryside, tractors, cows, the clanging of milk churns being collected and in the quietest of times the birdsong which all changed as I was driven to school in the nearest town. The town - perhaps village would describe it better - had small houses which abutted the footpath or even the roadway much as those in Roupell Street do.
And then.
I attended St.Andrews school (it hadn't yet added St Johns to its title) and lo and behold there opposite were small house opening directly onto the footpath much as in Devon to remind me of a calmer life.
Does anybody remember Mrs. Taylor who was the school housekeeper and lived opposite the school gates at number 9 Roupell Street.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 7.56am
What an eyesore, i hope planning and conservation agree and dismiss the application.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 9.49am
Ivanhoe. Whittesley etcetera is definitely village more than town but Bunhouse you are correct in your observations 're The area and your memories as I recall as a child in Gower Coast ....quality days memories indeed
Tuesday 11 August 2015 11.03am
Yes, indeed, thanks for putting me right. Roupell Village is only a Miss Marple and half a Jill Archer away from being located somewhere in the Chilterns - which I suppose is why all the amateur Betjamens are out in force.

It all started to go downhill when they paved over the cricket green and The Kings Arms started selling cold beer. Mind you, the writing was on the wall when central heating arrived. Stole all the jobs from the young sweeps. Place has never been the same since...

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions